Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Hunting over Bait
I agree with BigBuck95
18.52%
I think it's ok if it's legal in the state
72.84%
Its ok to have it out when it's not deer season
7.41%
No opinion
1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Hunting over Bait

Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Ain't that statement "the pot calling the kettle black"?

That's kind of what I was thinking.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

my self i have never used bait wile in archery season ,it used to be legal afew years ago but i never found a reason to do it because i was all ways seeing deer , little did i know why . the deer i was seeing were making an exit from the guys that were baiting ,i just happen to be setting on an escape runway. seeing deer there now is tough simply because these people are no longer there on the other side of the swamp
Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bait

So riddle me this. So let’s say you own 100 acres and you scout and scout nothing. Minimal deer sign. You put out cameras and pick up deer every once in awhile. You find out your neighbor pours 50 lbs bags of corn out every 4th day before opening day. You ask him if he sees anything. He shows you pictures of some monsters on his property. Your 100 acres nothing.

You decide to put out corn to bring the deer onto your property. After a few days deer begin to show up on camera and after a month they split their time between the 2 properties. Now both of you have a shot at the local deer.

Are you wrong by baiting? The reason I say this is because this happened to me. If I didn't pour the corn my chances of seeing a deer this sun on opener would be slim. Do I agree with it not really but it's the only way to bring deer back on my property.

And to those who would say I'm not a real hunter. Just ask I send you pics of my 5 popes I've shot the old way. Deer sign. That was when I was back in WI.

It's a never ending cycle. If one day baiting was illegal and it let the deer go back to their normal daily patterns. I would be all over it. I just don't have 45 days to sit in a tree waiting to see a hand full of deer because my neighbor draws the deer to his property. Am I wrong??????????????????

Last edited by deernutz; 08-14-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-14-2010, 06:10 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Ain't that statement "the pot calling the kettle black"?
Not in the least. I could care less. But do find those who practice baiting get upset when some nameless faceless internet poster do not agree with thier method of deer hunting. Its entertaining.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Here is an interesting theory from my local DNR on baiting for deer.

Keep in mind that it is legal to bait for deer in the lower half of SC, and illegal in the upstate. The reason why? Our state legislature sets the game laws for the lower half and DNR controls the upper half. It gets even funnier the more you read into it.

I will highlight in red the important parts so you don't have to read the whole thing:

Wildlife - Deer Information

Why do Baiting Laws differ between the Piedmont and Coastal Plain of South Carolina?

History of baiting in South Carolina

From a legal standpoint, baiting for deer in South Carolina in regionally defined with the practice being prohibited in the Piedmont and not prohibited in the Coastal Plain. This divergent legal situation is rooted in the history of the respective deer populations and in the tradition and politics of deer hunting in the two regions. As was the case in most of North America, South Carolina’s white-tailed deer population was nearly extirpated by 1900 primarily as a result of overexploitation and habitat loss due to agricultural development.
The Coastal Plain held residual deer populations that were associated with major river flood plain systems that were relatively inaccessible and of little agricultural value. Even when deer populations were low and protection of deer high in other states, deer remained available and hunting of deer continued in some parts of the Coastal Plain. Pursuing deer with dogs was the customary method of hunting deer and notable figures like Archibald Rutledge frequently described this activity as it was carried out specifically in the Coastal Plain of South Carolina. Many laws governing deer related activities in the Coastal Plain originated prior to the existence of wildlife management as a science and prior to the establishment of a wildlife agency in South Carolina. Even today, most restrictions on deer hunting in the Coastal Plain are legislative rather than being regulatory functions of SCDNR.
Historically, there was no need for the South Carolina General Assembly to address the issue of baiting deer in the Coastal Plain because hunting deer with dogs was the only method used. However, due to changing land use and ownership patterns and the fact that hunters determined that still hunting was an effective way to hunt deer, there was a relatively rapid shift from hunting with dogs to still hunting by the mid-1980s. Today less than 10 percent of the Coastal Plain is under a regime of hunting only with dogs. With this shift to still hunting and no restrictions on baiting deer, the practice began. Baiting is now widespread and used by the majority of hunters in the Coastal Plain. Baiting typically begins several weeks prior to the hunting season; therefore, this food source is available for about 6 months annually. In many cases, baiting has moved towards supplemental feeding since it is made available regardless of season and for the purpose of increasing deer condition and density. 1 In virtually all instances, shelled corn is the feed and it is typically provided free-choice, i.e. no timed feeders. Feeding rates on some properties are as high as 1,000 pounds per week per square mile.
In the Piedmont on the other hand, deer were nearly eliminated by the early 1900s and there are virtually no historical accounts of deer hunting in the Piedmont. By the 1950s, wildlife management as a science had emerged and a wildlife agency, now SCDNR, had developed in South Carolina. SCDNR was charged with restoring deer in the Piedmont and with this charge the agency was given regulatory authority over seasons, bag limits, and methods of hunting deer under Title 50 of the South Carolina Code of Laws. Deer restoration began in 1951 and the first open season for deer in the Piedmont was in 1958. Since deer numbers were low and there was no tradition of hunting deer with dogs, still-hunting was the only method prescribed. At that time, baiting was prohibited in the Piedmont by SCDNR regulation. This took place when virtually all deer hunting in the Coastal Plain was with dogs and baiting, though not prohibited by the legislature, was not an issue.
This historical account brings us to the present. South Carolina has a fully recovered statewide deer population, still-hunting is the dominant method of hunting deer, and the state is divided regionally on the legality of baiting. In the Piedmont baiting is prohibited by SCDNR regulation, whereas, in the Coastal Plain no such agency authority exists and baiting has not been addressed by the legislature. In essence, baiting in the Coastal Plain is a result of omission rather than provision in law.
There is a general lack of understanding among most hunters and legislators as to the history of baiting in South Carolina and how this conflicting legal situation arose. Hunters assume that SCDNR has ultimate control over wildlife and that the agency is being arbitrary and capricious in allowing baiting in the Coastal Plain and prohibiting it in the Piedmont. Legislators, most having little or no experience in wildlife or hunting, either know nothing about the issue or like hunters, feel the conflict is SCDNR’s responsibility.
Due to pressure from some hunters and real and perceived problems with deer, there have been several attempts since 2000 to remove SCDNR authority over baiting in the Piedmont by legislatively prescribing baiting as an acceptable practice for hunting deer in that region (recall that baiting is not legislatively prescribed in the Coastal Plain). With deer populations at relatively high levels in some areas, it is common knowledge that aggressively harvesting deer is important to management. In South Carolina, advocates of baiting insist that harvest rates and hunter efficiency are improved when bait is employed.
SCDNR Wildlife Section biological staff opposes the practice of hunting deer over bait due to the aforementioned set of biological, social, and ethical concerns. The following discussion more fully describes those concerns and is based on data collected in South Carolina and other states.

And here is the best part!!!!!

[Note: By Act Number 286 of the 2008 Session of the South Carolina General Assembly, the prohibition on baiting deer in the Piedmont of South Carolina was removed from SCDNR Regulation and placed into State Law. This Act did not address baiting in the Coastal Plain of the state.]

Now ain't that funny????
Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Not in the least. I could care less. But do find those who practice baiting get upset when some nameless faceless internet poster do not agree with thier method of deer hunting. Its entertaining.
I could care less either and like I have stated earlier "I have never hunted over bait or a food plot myself". But I do find those who do not practice baiting get upset when some nameless faceless internet poster do not agree with their method of deer hunting. Its entertaining. Think about it.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Spike

Default here we go again!!

The land I hunt is a pine forest tract with minimal hardwoods and I dont think there is a white oak on the 200 acres! The land is land locked surrounded by fields and also hunt clubs... I bait an area and bow hunt stands leading to the bait!! I have killed deer with a gun eatiing corn, It seemed no different to me than when I killed deer on a white oak ridge in Missouri! I believe that bait keeps my live bait (does ) in the area. One thing that is for sure big bucks rarely visit a corn pile to eat, the nice 8 pointer I killed last season was interested in does and not food!!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Spike

I bait using corn here in michigan when im taking my daughter out and have great luck with it. But as long as your having fun what does it matter. Isnt that what its about?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree. If you're having good, legal fun, then more power to you! Ethics schmethics. If it's legal, it is ethical as far as the law - and myself - are concerned so that's good enough for me. I don't bait because it's illegal here but what kills me is a lot of people go nuts about how wrong it would be to ever make legal and then shoot a big black bear over a pile of jelly donuts covered with bacon grease? Hmmmmm, what's the word I'm thinking of? Oh, yeah, hypocritical. If it were legal here, you bet I'd at least try it. But I'm not about to lobby for that right either.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think it's good. Just find a good spot to park yourself near standing corn or oak trees. Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.