Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Hunting over Bait
I agree with BigBuck95
18.52%
I think it's ok if it's legal in the state
72.84%
Its ok to have it out when it's not deer season
7.41%
No opinion
1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Hunting over Bait

Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Spike

dont know about anyone else, but any oak stand i hunt could cover up to hundreds of acres. same with agricultural fields. never seen a bait pile that covers that much land giving deer options of how to get there. we dont have near the numbers or quality of deer around here (nh) but baiting is legal. a buddy of mine just started putting out corn and has tons of pictures of bucks that probably wouldnt show in daylight out of the rut at that spot if there was no corn . this is in big woods with plenty of cut-offs, oaks and beeches to keep them fed. a pile of corn definitely narrows it down quite a bit. i enjoy time scouting and preparing for the hunt, which baiting kinda takes away.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mcraddock
Here is an interesting theory from my local DNR on baiting for deer.

Keep in mind that it is legal to bait for deer in the lower half of SC, and illegal in the upstate. The reason why? Our state legislature sets the game laws for the lower half and DNR controls the upper half. It gets even funnier the more you read into it.

I will highlight in red the important parts so you don't have to read the whole thing:

Wildlife - Deer Information

Why do Baiting Laws differ between the Piedmont and Coastal Plain of South Carolina?

History of baiting in South Carolina

From a legal standpoint, baiting for deer in South Carolina in regionally defined with the practice being prohibited in the Piedmont and not prohibited in the Coastal Plain. This divergent legal situation is rooted in the history of the respective deer populations and in the tradition and politics of deer hunting in the two regions. As was the case in most of North America, South Carolina’s white-tailed deer population was nearly extirpated by 1900 primarily as a result of overexploitation and habitat loss due to agricultural development.
The Coastal Plain held residual deer populations that were associated with major river flood plain systems that were relatively inaccessible and of little agricultural value. Even when deer populations were low and protection of deer high in other states, deer remained available and hunting of deer continued in some parts of the Coastal Plain. Pursuing deer with dogs was the customary method of hunting deer and notable figures like Archibald Rutledge frequently described this activity as it was carried out specifically in the Coastal Plain of South Carolina. Many laws governing deer related activities in the Coastal Plain originated prior to the existence of wildlife management as a science and prior to the establishment of a wildlife agency in South Carolina. Even today, most restrictions on deer hunting in the Coastal Plain are legislative rather than being regulatory functions of SCDNR.
Historically, there was no need for the South Carolina General Assembly to address the issue of baiting deer in the Coastal Plain because hunting deer with dogs was the only method used. However, due to changing land use and ownership patterns and the fact that hunters determined that still hunting was an effective way to hunt deer, there was a relatively rapid shift from hunting with dogs to still hunting by the mid-1980s. Today less than 10 percent of the Coastal Plain is under a regime of hunting only with dogs. With this shift to still hunting and no restrictions on baiting deer, the practice began. Baiting is now widespread and used by the majority of hunters in the Coastal Plain. Baiting typically begins several weeks prior to the hunting season; therefore, this food source is available for about 6 months annually. In many cases, baiting has moved towards supplemental feeding since it is made available regardless of season and for the purpose of increasing deer condition and density. 1 In virtually all instances, shelled corn is the feed and it is typically provided free-choice, i.e. no timed feeders. Feeding rates on some properties are as high as 1,000 pounds per week per square mile.
In the Piedmont on the other hand, deer were nearly eliminated by the early 1900s and there are virtually no historical accounts of deer hunting in the Piedmont. By the 1950s, wildlife management as a science had emerged and a wildlife agency, now SCDNR, had developed in South Carolina. SCDNR was charged with restoring deer in the Piedmont and with this charge the agency was given regulatory authority over seasons, bag limits, and methods of hunting deer under Title 50 of the South Carolina Code of Laws. Deer restoration began in 1951 and the first open season for deer in the Piedmont was in 1958. Since deer numbers were low and there was no tradition of hunting deer with dogs, still-hunting was the only method prescribed. At that time, baiting was prohibited in the Piedmont by SCDNR regulation. This took place when virtually all deer hunting in the Coastal Plain was with dogs and baiting, though not prohibited by the legislature, was not an issue.
This historical account brings us to the present. South Carolina has a fully recovered statewide deer population, still-hunting is the dominant method of hunting deer, and the state is divided regionally on the legality of baiting. In the Piedmont baiting is prohibited by SCDNR regulation, whereas, in the Coastal Plain no such agency authority exists and baiting has not been addressed by the legislature. In essence, baiting in the Coastal Plain is a result of omission rather than provision in law.
There is a general lack of understanding among most hunters and legislators as to the history of baiting in South Carolina and how this conflicting legal situation arose. Hunters assume that SCDNR has ultimate control over wildlife and that the agency is being arbitrary and capricious in allowing baiting in the Coastal Plain and prohibiting it in the Piedmont. Legislators, most having little or no experience in wildlife or hunting, either know nothing about the issue or like hunters, feel the conflict is SCDNR’s responsibility.
Due to pressure from some hunters and real and perceived problems with deer, there have been several attempts since 2000 to remove SCDNR authority over baiting in the Piedmont by legislatively prescribing baiting as an acceptable practice for hunting deer in that region (recall that baiting is not legislatively prescribed in the Coastal Plain). With deer populations at relatively high levels in some areas, it is common knowledge that aggressively harvesting deer is important to management. In South Carolina, advocates of baiting insist that harvest rates and hunter efficiency are improved when bait is employed.
SCDNR Wildlife Section biological staff opposes the practice of hunting deer over bait due to the aforementioned set of biological, social, and ethical concerns. The following discussion more fully describes those concerns and is based on data collected in South Carolina and other states.

And here is the best part!!!!!

[Note: By Act Number 286 of the 2008 Session of the South Carolina General Assembly, the prohibition on baiting deer in the Piedmont of South Carolina was removed from SCDNR Regulation and placed into State Law. This Act did not address baiting in the Coastal Plain of the state.]

Now ain't that funny????
Better stop off at your attorney's office right after you pick up that 100# sack of corn
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Up by me there is a lot of baiting done. One way to bait that I have not seen discussed here much is to not hunt over bait but rather hunt trails "on the way" to the bait. A fellow I know that gets some nice deer does this. This is especially effective during the rut, bringing in does with bucks following. Also, this allows you to place bait away from your hunting spot, more on a perimeter location so you are not spooking deer up. Not much different from a food plot really, but allows one to hunt public lands with a similar "food plot" approach.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

is there a 100 of these bait threads or is it just the same ones over and over? but here in ks it is legal to bait. we have over 125 stands on over 30k acres and everyone of them has corn 20 to 40 yards in front of them. the ones i hunt around my house has 100 to 150 lbs of corn we feed our deer a lot. if its legal why not do it?