Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Modern Hunter Depression

Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trail cams have an advantage over us. They are better at staying scent-free, they can hunt at night, they can stay still and quiet much longer than we can and they don't have to come in when they get cold.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the element of surprise when I see them for the first time and I think the trail cams take some of that away,not all but some. It's a tool like scents,food atractants etc. and I understand why they are used by many. I like as has been said geting out in the woods scouting,tracking trying to get a sense and feel for where they are and patterning them with foot work. The whole hunting expierence will either keep me going or not. If I see no bucks I'm still looking forward to the time spent in the woods enjoying the time to vegatate and slow down for the day. Not seeing anything makes it hard to stay fired up but so far I have not had that happen where I hunt.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I get a real kick out of looking at the trail camera pictures and thinking about the upcoming hunting season. It get my amped up. It will also drive me out into my stands knowning that a trophy buck may be just around the corner.

This year, I have seen enough 8+ pointers in my spit of woods that I will keep my arrow in the quiver until I see a big one. That will only change towards rifle season.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default trail cams

Originally Posted by GregH
You've got to be kidding........ right?

From the cams you know there are nice bucks around. You make your own luck from scouting hard and applying it to your hunting. Do not worry about how or what other hunters are doing. Applaud them for their success. I also advise not blaming technology (trail cams, etc) for one's inadequecies when it comes to hunting.

I couldn't have said that any better myself. You know they are in the area and you have a shot at seeing one of them again if you play your cards right.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

GOSH..I thought I was the only one who went through 'Hunter's Depression" and I 'm serious..

I get up at 4:00 AM..drive one hour.to a pressured WMA hoping to God that no other hunter has stumbled on my secret spot..I walk through the scary swamp about 3/4 of a mile..go up a cypress tree and click on the ole Therma Cell..BELIEVING that this may be the big day..Finally after much waiting and seeing nothing ..I try to tell myself it's OK..you did your best..but I'm not smiling..fact..when I drive past Subway on the way home , I plan to buy a large sandwich , chips and jumbo coke { FORGET THE DIET!!} I'm depressed..

Then when I go home I hear from the wife."I don't know why you like hunting ..you always come home depressed." .."And how's the diet coming?"

I guess it the chase..you never know when I'll be bringing home the back strap.{ -; I did last year..

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually never thought of them in that light but it does make some sense.