Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

nocturnal pattern

Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Spike

Default nocturnal pattern

the deer on my dads farm are coming through at night not during the day. Is there anyway to change there pattern?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Perhaps - if you can provide cover and areas to feed without any human disturbance. Otherwise, wait until rut.

-fsh
Old 08-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fshafly2
Perhaps - if you can provide cover and areas to feed without any human disturbance. Otherwise, wait until rut.

-fsh
even during rut they are like this. i put out corn so i could see when they were coming through a certain are and they only come after dark
Old 08-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Spike

What time are these deer coming? middle of night or well after dark?.. If right after dark...u might be too far from the bedding area..might take them that long to get there..Bedding area might be far away...Im not a expert, but maybe one will give u a legit answer
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are primarily nocturnal, especially older bucks, pressured or not. That of course is in a normal setting. That's just nature. Like he said, your best chance of seeing mature buck daylight movement will be near and during the rut. Your not going to change a mature bucks pattern unless you are hunting behind a high fence and his main food source is provided by man. Be patient and wait til the rut comes near. You may see at least some daylight movement, but nothing is guaranteed.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like already said wait until the rut or if you figure out where they're bedding slip in close well before daylight and try to ambush one right in their bedding area as he comes back hopefully just at daylight. Hunting bedding areas is risky though and if you bump a big buck at his bedding area you could run him out of your area completely.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

again im with the wait until the rut, but try putting corn out at a few different places, no closer than 150 yards if possible, this way they almost have to hit it during the day light
Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can put corn out or put up a feeder, but the big boys aint comin during daylight hours in a natural setting.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Site Buck Guru

Originally Posted by superstrutter
You can put corn out or put up a feeder, but the big boys aint comin during daylight hours in a natural setting.
Exactly! Putting out corn is the fastest way to turn deer nocturnal. I've done it.

If possible, try to create thick bedding areas on your property so the deer will already be there when you hunt. Then you should be able to see them during daylight.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

812, you're close to me I bet (Southern IN)....if you are,

A.) It's been as hot as all get out the last couple weeks...my water sources are all dried up/except one (that's where my cam is )
B.) Deer in general are primarily nocturnal, but not fully, rut or no rut those deer move in daylight, maybe not much, but they do...so maybe you're not close enough to where they bed or the food/water source they want.
C.) Their patterns will change as the year progresses as well. Maybe they won't use that area until late October.
D.) A little bit of corn may help, just make sure to have it out 10 days prior to you hunting that area.

Last edited by StealthHtr22; 08-13-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.