Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it always your spot?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Well I guess to sum it up for me is should I just let go of the notion that it is "my" spot. I was hunting like 8 years before him and then invited him down there. When the landowner asked me who hunts I put him on the list. Me, my kids and him. He has been down there 12-13 years now. Thats what I am getting at I guess. After this long is it still the same as day 1 when I invited him there?
If you didn't have him get permission himself, tell him he's out. I might add, If a person that I let hunt on our land, let someone come with that I didn't give permission to, I would kick both of them out for good. It is a privledge to hunt on someone elses land and to bring someone with, that the land owner doesn't know about, is asking for trouble. The best way to hunt private land, is to get permission for your self only. Then you will only have to answer for yourself to the land owner.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

i believe whoever gets permission it is THEIR spot, and they can bring friends or let others hunt it every once in a while at the landowners discrestion
Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Well I guess to sum it up for me is should I just let go of the notion that it is "my" spot. He has been down there 12-13 years now. Thats what I am getting at I guess. After this long is it still the same as day 1 when I invited him there?
Wow...that paints a different picture. I think you're sh*t out of luck and it's fair game now, especially after 10+years of him hunting there. That would make you look like a pretty big a**hole. It's been to long to change now in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's my belief if your invited to anothers spot, camp or lands you should always be considered a guest. Which means no ownership(even if the land or lease isn't in your name). The opportunity to hunt someone else spot is a priv. not a right and should always be treated that way. This goes for long standing permissions you may have with the legal landowner.

I know full well know your position... done it. In my opinion you need to set the fella straight. If nothing is said your friendship will become strained. If a true friend he will understand. If not...unfortunately he isn't the friend he once was! Crappy situation, I feel your pain and wish you all the best....again been their done that.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
It's my belief if your invited to anothers spot, camp or lands you should always be considered a guest. Which means no ownership(even if the land or lease isn't in your name). The opportunity to hunt someone else spot is a priv. not a right and should always be treated that way. This goes for long standing permissions you may have with the legal landowner.

I know full well know your position... done it. In my opinion you need to set the fella straight. If nothing is said your friendship will become strained. If a true friend he will understand. If not...unfortunately he isn't the friend he once was! Crappy situation, I feel your pain and wish you all the best....again been their done that.
Good way to put it...I agree.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is that if you do not own the land, the "spot" belongs to anyopne that has permission to hunt the property.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what I am getting at I guess. After this long is it still the same as day 1 when I invited him there?

I believe it is. Him approaching the landowner is not cool IMO.
He was right to ask you, not the landowner, about bringing someone else. But, I think you have every right to say NO.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default things you don't share

Wives, girlfriends and tree stand locations.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

The only individuals I share my stand locations with are my 14 and 11 year old sons.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM

Bingo!!!!!!!