Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it always your spot?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

This is why I do 95% of all my hunting alone. Even beyond this, I prefer to hunt alone anyway, so it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The landowner has the right to do what he wants but man to man with your buddy he should honor it as your spot unless you and him had an agreement otherwise. I can tell you right now anyone who would go in behind you is not your buddy. Buddies do not do that to buddies period.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Friends???

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Yea I see what you are saying. But here is the short version. My brother came into town to hunt and I was on the fence about taking him. The land owner has always been good to me but very strict on his "permission practices". My buddy kinda talked me out of asking for permission. A month later he actually had the balls and asked me to get permission for his father in law to go there. That was when we kinda had it out.

We are good friends, and will stay that way. I was just wondering if anyone else had a situation like this and how they handled it.
This second post kinda of cleared up some questions I had. It sounds to me as if "you alone" have the relationship w/ the owner and not he. Is he allowed to hunt w/o you with him? Point is, I think he is taking advantage of your good will. I would break it down w/ him, let him know about his lack of contribution to both of your good fortune. I've had friends to my place, and I at theirs, we would never take advantage of each other. "you ain't seeing anything, come on up, get some" vice versa. To me, you're letting it happen. If you're real good friends, he'll see the error in his ways, and will work it out for the sake of the relationship. Otherwise you'll continue to stew and lose respect for him until you become "former" friends. It's already started, you posted here.

Last edited by tight360; 08-10-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well I guess to sum it up for me is should I just let go of the notion that it is "my" spot. I was hunting like 8 years before him and then invited him down there. When the landowner asked me who hunts I put him on the list. Me, my kids and him. He has been down there 12-13 years now. Thats what I am getting at I guess. After this long is it still the same as day 1 when I invited him there?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you look at your friends trophies and actual think they came about only because of your connections . Thats sad , I don't know the value of your friendship but your I'm boss attitude could end it . Your post makes me think of my own situation , I have been hunting with the same friend off and on for close to fifty years and whom was boss has never came up .
Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default halcon

Originally Posted by halcon
Do you look at your friends trophies and actual think they came about only because of your connections . Thats sad , I don't know the value of your friendship but your I'm boss attitude could end it . Your post makes me think of my own situation , I have been hunting with the same friend off and on for close to fifty years and whom was boss has never came up .
but has your friend ever made you feel uncomfortable enough to make you actually post for advice? The man is reaching out for a reason. I don't think it's a who's the boss issue.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to hunt 100% alone...but I also hunt in a very difficult WMA..I learned that in Florida most hunters will split the game right down the middle PLUS it's easier to drag a deer out.Therefore 50% of the time I hunt with one more hunter...3 seems to be too much ..I like TWO .Most of my hunting is a mile deep . I'm very selective with my hunting partners ...and even with this ..I keep 90% of my hot spots to myself..When I hunt with a new hunter we find a new spot..or hunt one we both found the year before.

Some expectations I have finding hunting buddies..

A. Must be a flat out good quiet hunter..I prefer ones that are more experienced than me..but humble about it.

B. Must be a fellow Christian striving to walk in obedience to the Word...{ must be honest }lots claim to be a Christian and even go to church..I aint talkin about those..I'm talking about the real ones.They are a rare breed.

C. Must be willing to split gas money

D. Must cheerfully split the deer or hog harvested...even the tenderloins.{ -;

The only issue I've had with my new hunting partner..
--talks way to much
--doesn't want to leave..last year we had 2 hogs on the tail gate..He was ticked off that I wanted to go home..Hey, it's Florida I was wanting to get the meat on ice.
Summary..the man is a great hunter and scores often..so we are still hunting partners.LOL

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-11-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
My brother came into town to hunt and I was on the fence about taking him. The land owner has always been good to me but very strict on his "permission practices". My buddy kinda talked me out of asking for permission. A month later he actually had the balls and asked me to get permission for his father in law to go there. That was when we kinda had it out.

We are good friends, and will stay that way. I was just wondering if anyone else had a situation like this and how they handled it.
That's BS. I can't stand disrespect. I believe seniority should always override these situations. Too bad it doesn't.

I feel your pain. I had a friend take me to his area turkey hunting (me filming) and duck hunting a couple times, and I've never returned w/out his invite. To repay him, I took the same guy duck hunting, & frog gigging, and who showed up at my honey holes? Hunting land is extremely hard to come by around here, so I learned my lesson. We're still friends, but we don't hunt together anymore. The few friends I do hunt with, we are all on the same page. From now on I just establish ahead of time the intentions, whether it's by invite only or accept the friend to show up anytime...I like to share, but I also don't want my area & way I hunt change because a selfish hunter steps on my toes.

Last edited by StealthHtr22; 08-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wifes granmother told me once that the only friend you got is your wallet... When that's empty you aint got no more friends
Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

To the OP: Do you have a written agreement with the landowner? If so, then, yes, it's clearly still YOUR spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.