HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Your hunting area (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/327257-your-hunting-area.html)

Game Stalker 08-07-2010 03:49 PM

Your hunting area

Describe your hunting area(s) and the conditions or challenges you face.

Game Stalker 08-07-2010 04:02 PM

Personally,I only have access to an WMA.This one is close and has a large # of acreage-5,200.Trouble is,it serves multiple cities and counties.Also,a large portion of the land is water.Doe is allowed during bow season.Also one day during the 2 week BP season.Got and hunted w/my bow last year.This and black powder are the best times to hunt due to lower number of hunters and the deer routine hasn't changed as much.General firearms season the place becomes a mad house.Also there are many hunt clubs running dogs.Anytime you see a buck,you've been blessed.Big ones are rare.

Sniggle 08-07-2010 04:51 PM

I hunt a WMA in my county, relatively small but seems to have deer year after year. The nice thing about it is that there is a climb to get on top of the ridge, which reduces the # of hunters. Then if you walk another 20 minutes down the ridge, you are pretty much alone. Most WMA hunters seem to not venture far from the car.

I also hunt my backyard, of which I own 3 acres of woods that is adjacent to a bean field, and is attached to 30 acres a friend owns of which I can hunt on the side next to mine. I love being able to come home from work, grab my hunting gear, get up in a tree and wathc the sun sink into the western sky:-)

KANSAS31 08-07-2010 05:38 PM

I am hunting a new patch of land this year 50 acres only been out twice set up a feeder about two weeks ago checked the camera yesterday got pic of a doe second one I have seen looks promising

JNM86WVU 08-07-2010 06:45 PM

My little slice of heaven is 93 acres, but it's landlocked by nearly 900 acres that is own by four other families on each side of the property. Only one of those families hunt, so in bow season there is only 2-3 other guys hunting in the area excluding my friend and myself. In rifle season it raises a little, but there are only 8-10 people hunting in those other areas, and two others hunting with me. It drops 300 ft in elevation from top to bottom. It was recently timbered about 4 to 5 years ago, so needless to say it's starting to come back think in some areas. The top is less than a quarter mile from corn and soy bean fields and is still some what thick with timber. As you continue down there are a series of ridge lines and valleys, and in the bottom is a creek, which is feed by two streams that run off my property as well. Since I have started hunting up there we have put in two hunting plots of clover and wilderness mixes and here in a week or so I am planning on putting in an oats fall plot. Might not be perfect, but I surely love it there..

halcon 08-07-2010 10:07 PM

I have access to maybe two thousand acres behind me that belongs to a timber company and the few acres I own gives me plenty of hunting oppurtunity . Rolling grassland to very rough mountains for a good variety of hunting . We have deer ,turkey ,elk , limited bear and bobcats to hunt . As I get older it has worked very well for me and a hunting partner .

Sniggle 08-08-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by halcon (Post 3659869)
I have access to maybe two thousand acres behind me that belongs to a timber company and the few acres I own gives me plenty of hunting oppurtunity . Rolling grassland to very rough mountains for a good variety of hunting . We have deer ,turkey ,elk , limited bear and bobcats to hunt . As I get older it has worked very well for me and a hunting partner .

That sounds sweet. If/when I retire, I will be looking for 50-100 acres that backs up to a large WMA.

timbercruiser 08-08-2010 05:58 AM

I have a couple of hundred acres of family land that only myself and my grandsons hunt, I'm in a small club where 4 of us lease about 1,400 acres and I have access to about 4,000 acres of private land that less than 5 people have permission to hunt. Biggest problem I have is on the 4,000 acres there are a lot of dang hogs on it. They are the single biggest problem I see, they eat anything from turkey eggs to all the deer feed in the woods. If it didn't kill everything else I would mix up some Timik and sour corn and poison the hogs, but anything that eats the corn or the dead hogs would be killed also.

Bfree 08-08-2010 08:56 AM

I lease 52 acres, 12 were clear cut and reseeded w/pines a few yrs back. I do not hunt this area yet, right now its just a buffer zone for me. The other 40 acres are mostly mature pines and thick underbrush. A few hardwoods in the bottoms. Its hilly w/no water on it. There's a small mud hole just off the property that I cross through to get to my lease but over the summer I cut another road through the underbrush around this hole. Im gonna take my front end loader in their and dig that mud hole out some more and make it deeper. I can see the hole from my deer stand and if a deer crosses the line into my lease Ill take em. The surrounding area is thick pine plantations.

superstrutter 08-08-2010 10:55 AM

I own 100 acres and lease 107 acres that borders my land from a cousin who lives in Colorado. I hunt the 207 acres by myself. I'll take a friend every now and then. The two properties are primarily made up of hardwoods with tons of white oaks. There are a good number of pines also. There are areas of very thick cover. I have two creeks running through the properties. I also have a power-pipeline running through both properties. It's an ideal setup. I have plenty of cover, food, and water, unless there is a major drought. There are also ponds on a neighboring property that have water year round even in the driest conditions, but down here in LA., droughts are not real common.