Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy or Meat This Year?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

it all depends on where i hunt at my down south place prob meat if i can hunt out where i am now then prob not
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I Like nice racks, but gotta fill the freezer too..
Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Spike

Meat in the freezer for sure. Nothing beats backstraps on the grill. Although...a nice side of liver, heart and onions isn't all that bad either!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love the meat but when it comes to harvesting bucks I am selective. I don't shoot a buck just to say I got one or have a set of antlers, he's gotta be mature. I no longer think of myself as a "trophy hunter", at least in the way that I'm only looking at a buck for what his antler's will score and nothing else. If I need meat I'll gladly take a doe with my only either sex tag.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it's all about the rack for me personally and the law Enforces a min antler size as well.The general regulations in my region are as follows.The law req a min of 4 tines on one side (not including the eye guards) for mule deer for part of the season.They also have a general open season for mule deer for the other part.My min is 180 BC field guess .Elk law req min 6 tines on one side.If I see a six point elk I will kill it.Moose is different the must have less than or equal to 2 tines on one side.Immature bulls only.For moose I always apply for a LEH draw if I am succeessful I will take anything bigger than what appear to be 30 inches wide.Again this is just my region that I live in
but antler size is dictated for us even if we want meat.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Spike

I'm on the trophy boat!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

My second season this year, didnt put any deer on the ground last year but i was way unprepared. Im definetly hunting for meat. I did pass up perfects shots 3 times out last year on small does that were with their mother. They were spotless but small so I let them walk. Hopefully that will pay off this year. We are allowed to take 10 does in MD and 2 bucks. Id be happy with one doe lol. Good luck this year.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Right now i'm just wanting to get something with my bow since i haven't taken a deer with it before. I'm going to take anything to fill my buck bow tag for this year anyway. Next year i'm going to work on bigger deer.