Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who Process's there own Deer

Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never paid to have a deer butchered...

We raised and killed 20 pigs a year, had our own smokehouse...

We kill 35-50 deer a year and butcher all but the ones we give to local families...

You might also try canning deer as well...
Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Talking OH yes!!!!

A tradition that has been handed down from generation to generation. Taking the time to remove the suet, makes for a better tasting cut, also knowing it is "my" deer!!!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The majority of the time I enjoy processing my own deer. But sometimes I'll drop one off at the processor and let them work their magic.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Spike

Having been a former meat cutter from my early days I can certainly carve up a deer. There is no difference in the types of cuts from beef than there are deer as far as the names go and how you get those cuts such as,a (beef) bottom round roast is the same as a (venison) bottom round roast and the same goes for top round,eye of round,sirloin tip and so on. I bone out and then seam out the hind quarters into individual 99% fat free roast and use them in varios methods. Mostly pot roast and jerky. Back straps as most call them are the same as a the loins in beef or pork which would be the "center cut" style pork chops you buy in the store. "Tenderloin" from the inside of the deer cavity is actually the same as filet mignon from beef. The shoulders I will typically grind up with some beef suet or "fat" into ground venison. Great for chili and such.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the responses as far as my statement about grinding my meat , I usually will grind most of my bucks or older does into burger , and the younger does i wll use for stew meat and steaks and roast . I really find butchering my own deer to be easy to do although can be a little time consuming but I am fairly picky about cutting all the grizzle , membranes and fat off the meat but what a difference ii makes
Old 08-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always butchered my own because we were raised that way ...killing our own pigs and beef.

Up until a few years ago I would take deer in to have summer sausage made. However I got some back that had lead bird shot in it and I was finished with commercial processors. I have everything to do my summer sausage now and I control all the quality and it's better than any I have made. I don't trust most of them to take care of it like would.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I went hunting for the first time two years ago, I just assumed that if you kill a deer, you process it. I had no idea you could take it to a deer processing butcher shop. When I learned of them, I did not and still do not understand why people do it. It absolutely an integral part of the hunting experience for me. It kinda seems similar to shooting deer on a fenced ranch.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I process my own deer. Ground meat ( for jerky, chilli, spaghetti), sausage, tenderized steaks to smother in gravy, backstrap and t-loins to grill or strips to fry, stew meat, I do it all. It takes time, but it's worth it. I know I don't have to worry about contaminated meat or biting into bone or gristle, or worse. For anyone thinking about processing your own deer, buy a food vac if you don't already have one. Your meat will last three times longer in the freezer. You will be glad you bought one.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do. I always have since the first deer I killed as a teenager back in the 70's. My stepfather and BIL trained me. From the ground to the freezer, with a little help from my wife to bag it up. This year, I think I'm going to invest in a vacuum sealer.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Spike

We have been processing our deer for as long as I remember. That way we know the meat is what it is supposed to be. I've heard the stories of taking a deer to a processer and not getting the deer that was dropped off. Too many folks like to ride around showing off the deer and getting it nasty and too hot. I don't trust meat that has been rode all over town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.