Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
noise and parking vechile close to stand? >

noise and parking vechile close to stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

noise and parking vechile close to stand?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deerslayer706
ok,Heres the situation..ive had surgery on leg and its hard to walk for long distances...Theres a pond about 100 yards from my stand...if that...Was thinking about driving golf cart or vechile to the pond,and driving it in the woods a lil bit and walk from there to my stands in the morning and afternoon hunts..What do ya think about makein that much noise early in morning that close to my stand? Im thinking it will be fine if i get in 30-50 mins before day break in the morning..get in real early....Donno...Lets hear what you guys think...
I think you'll be fine. I worry more about banging anything around or against anything once I have any vehicle in where I want to leave it.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
The thing I've always wondered is this: What if the vehicle is in the path that deer take. Will they get to the vehile and detour far around?

One of my favorite stands is about 150 yards off the road. I usually park on the side of the road and walk in. I wonder if any of the deer who would cross the road to get to my stand would be discouraged by the vehicle. Or wouldn't they pay it any mind?
In my personal experience I had a buck squeeze right around an ATV before coming over to get his due.

I had parked an ATV in thin and weeded treeline dividing a couple bean fields. It was parked about 75-100 yards out from the ends of the 2 fields where they met up with woods. I was set up maybe 50 yards inside the woods in a treestand. I was glassing the fields at first (barely) light and saw him coming across the field to my right. He hit that treeline right at the ATV (not far to my right at all) and I watched him go right around it. I thought for second "Oh poop this is going to be a bust" - but nope.

He came into the left bean field which was right out in front of me, came left into the woods and gave the signal for hot lead.

He fell like a brick. Great morning.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I think you should be fine if you get there 30 minutes early and try to keep your scent and noise level down. in my area there are not really big parcels alot of 10 to 40 acres parcels so deer are more used to people and vehicle noise.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Spike

thx guys...Makes me feel more confident about hunting this year..it'll take more then a leg to keep me from hunting...All i gotta worry about now is the coyotes from chaseing me to the stand...lol..naw..aint that bad..We got a group of coyotes that wonder around the property ever soo often...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

your fine.... my grandpa drives his four wheeler right to his stand every year and kills a deer....
Old 08-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Spike

Agreed, the largest deer Ive ever killed was only about 20 yds from my 4 wheeler that I had parked. I walked up a hill and sat down over looking a small valley w/the 4 wheeler staight down. I was being lazy. Anyways the buck ran out chasing a doe and never even new that it was there. Last yr I had gotten down off my stand and had walked to my truck and grabbed a bite to eat. As I was standing there a doe walked out only about 30 yds from me well needless to say I had back strap for supper. I dont think they pay attention to it, if its not moving or unless they smell a human odor. Hey Im starting to see a pattern here, just sit at my truck and hunt. Who needs stands and camo.

Last edited by Bfree; 08-06-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that were my only alternative, I'd do it even if it did alert some deer. Beats watching TV and you just never know what will walk by in the rut.