Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
noise and parking vechile close to stand? >

noise and parking vechile close to stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

noise and parking vechile close to stand?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Spike

Default noise and parking vechile close to stand?

ok,Heres the situation..ive had surgery on leg and its hard to walk for long distances...Theres a pond about 100 yards from my stand...if that...Was thinking about driving golf cart or vechile to the pond,and driving it in the woods a lil bit and walk from there to my stands in the morning and afternoon hunts..What do ya think about makein that much noise early in morning that close to my stand? Im thinking it will be fine if i get in 30-50 mins before day break in the morning..get in real early....Donno...Lets hear what you guys think...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience deer are more tolerant of vehical noise than human smell.Generally speaking deer are used to hearing and seeing active logging, farming, highway traffic.I think you will be fine with parking a truck and walking in.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 08-05-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer...many won't agree but I have killed many driving my Rancher through the farm and parking below the stand I was hunting...If you were deep in the back woods where they didn't have humans around it might make a difference, but in most areas I don't believe it does...

Do what you have to do to get out there and enjoy yourself...
Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

You will be fine.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

i killed one of my nicest bucks a couple years ago standing next to my truck getting my cold weather suit on...just breaking day and a doe walked right by me,,right behind her was a rutting buck...he didnt even pay me or my f150 any mind he was in love...it cost him..i think they get used to sound and smell of equiptment,,might wanna take it out there and park it way before season though
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the hunting area is close to your home, start taking your golf cart to your stand area and leaving it for a day or two at a time. They will get use to it being in the area rather quickly.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Spike

my stand is pretty thick in the woods...all the trails are really open..soo its pretty much walking a trail that a car can drive on and then cutting off into some thick woods and walk in about 60 yards..I mean...we allways cut grass and plie the food plots up everyyear and go fishing all the time...I know there use to some noise..The bedding area is ruffly 150,200 yards away from the stand..got a couple good rubs by the stand..ill be goin to cut some grass and get my camera this weekend...ill post some pics up for ya.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Spike

I agree with the other posts that suggested that the deer will forget the noise in areas were noises are common and go about their business unaffected. Yesterday I observed about 6 deer along the edge of the highway grazing in a very relaxed manner within about 150 yards of a highway work crew. I hunt about 750 feet from my car, and between the car and going up with the climber you can't help but make noise. I'm sure they react to my parking and setting up, but time has proven that they forget about it shortly afterwards and stroll right back near my stand. I also agree that wind and scent becomes bigger factors at that point, second to plain old luck of course. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing I've always wondered is this: What if the vehicle is in the path that deer take. Will they get to the vehile and detour far around?

One of my favorite stands is about 150 yards off the road. I usually park on the side of the road and walk in. I wonder if any of the deer who would cross the road to get to my stand would be discouraged by the vehicle. Or wouldn't they pay it any mind?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer adapt to where they are

I've seen deer adapt to noise and people in an urban area. A lot of it can depend on what is in the area year round. I use to hunt a small "farm" that got gobbled up by apartments, town homes, houses, streets, vehicles, noisy blowers, and thousands of people. Of course, it was my state secret that I was archery hunting on my private farm.
Wasn't unusual at all to see deer. Last week I was with a photographer who got pictures of a doe with a couple of fawns. The park path was some fifty yards from a city street, twenty yards from the deer; deer twenty-thirty yards from some apartments on the far side. From this known route, the deer were using a ribbon of woods that stood between houses and an apartment complex.

The deer have ingress and egress from food, cover and water. Been home for deer for decades. Even after the construction came.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.