Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What does checking wind do?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

checking the wind is just another precaution to take in hopes of stacking the odds in your favor. no matter how scent free you are, you will never eliminate ALL odors. besides i read somewhere that a black bears nose is 7 times better than a blood hound....if that tells you anything.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I don't think any thread about the wind would be complete without saying this.

You can check the wind all you want. The best you will come up with (especially in the woods) is a prevailing wind direction.

Everyone has seen all the evidence you'll ever need sitting around a campfire. As the smoke rolls off the fire you see how the wind will roll and switch around pretty regularly.

I pay attention to the wind when hunting because I prefer to keep my eyes a bit more into the wind.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Call me what you want and say what you want about me, but washing your clothes in scent free soap and spraying down with scent killer and you don't know what checking the wind means?!! OMG That's the first thing I learned 40 years ago.....
Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting (checking) the wind is paramount. Keeping yourself as scent free as possible won't mean squat if you're not always aware of the wind. Hunt the wind and keep all your scent free stuff at home...yes, that's always been my opinion.

Any deer will pick up your scent if he's downwind of you no matter how hard you try to fool his nose.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter

Holding your breath....??? I hope the wind doesnt shift very long or you may pass out. Sorry just found that funny.
Yeah, yeah, LOL! I knew after reading what I posted that didn't quite sound like I wanted it to.

To postscript to my original post...

If I knew the wind direction during the specific moment the deer were coming in and I saw they were headed for my pre-determined downwind scent stream... "I would hold my breath not to expose myself to my location."... as an added precaution to help reduce any odors that may be headed their way. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
Call me what you want and say what you want about me, but washing your clothes in scent free soap and spraying down with scent killer and you don't know what checking the wind means?!! OMG That's the first thing I learned 40 years ago.....
You just don't get it. You missed the point. When a Moderator gives you advice, I'd look into what he's trying to say.

No one is calling you anything.

iSnipe
Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, playing the wind is important.I don't always follow the rule but I do believe it works in your favor.
I do my best to make my self as human odorless as possible
and use my scent glands.But As I hunt, I sweat, I eat , I...and the list goes on.If I worried about my I odour I gave off I wouldn't be hunting I be bathing.So yeah I play the wind as much as I can.I know when wind prevails, it goes up the mountain in the morn and down the mountain at night.These are the factors I focus on.In morn Im high walking down ,night Im at the bottem walking up, I watch cloud movment.But if I see a fresh monster track that goes out the window,and I'm on him no matter where the wind is going.I have lost more than I have won when I do this but I have gotten some pretty impressive trophies doing this as well.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 08-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think that the most important sense to a deer during gun season is his nose. I have found it to be their eyesight when the leaves are down. The wind is important sometimes and I admit I will let it dictate to me where I hunt. As far as scent killers, what a waste of money. My opinion.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I agree

Every hunter has a right to his own theories.

And he'll change it, soon enough, if he's not harvesting deer.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
I have been hunting for three years now and i just learnd about the wind this year, and the first thing i learned was that you want to kill a deer. so OMG isnt really needed becuase it is not at all surprising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.