Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shooter or not? Opinions please. >

Shooter or not? Opinions please.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooter or not? Opinions please.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

In honesty, the privilege of seeing doe, buck or fawn is a treasure. The experience of seeing any of these makes them all trophies. Now if your just hunting headgear, thats a shooter every year for me unless I'm hunting a specific deer. Which i seem to do lately. But regardless, a great exercise is drawing on a buck of this caliber, even if you dont shoot. Practicing you can consistly get to that point of the game. Cuz things can still go wrong from there!! BUT getting to the point of full draw on a big boy, still being unaware is a HUGH skill.

My trouble is I dont think this exercise works for me. Cuz the damn arrow always seems to shoot something if I have to long to practice.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

ok so most of us will take him, but don't let everyones' opinion tell you what to do. like said before, only you can make you happy on this choice..........
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

To me it would depend on the farm situation. If it just you, or you and few people who are all wanting to grow big mature bucks and are on a big tract of land where the chance of someone else popping him are low then I'd pass him. Id guess he's 3.5 yo. And being in central IL you know theres a good chance theres a bigger one somewhere nearby. But if your in a highly hunted area or on a small tract of land I'd stick em. JMHO Good Luck whatever you decide
Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Spike

thanks everyone, and like i said, i guess ill have to decide in the heat of the moment. i hope i see them in the fall...btw, on new years eve last year i think i saw the july 16 buck and drew back on a broadside 17 yd shot and he busted me, so revenge should b sweet
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by -DeerSlayer-
depending on what your standards are would determine whether or not you would like to take him.. I have set things that i look for in deer and let alot of bucks walk in a year. He looks like he would be right on the border. I have a 135" 3 1/2 yr old minimum. I would have to judge on the spot and would have to see how the hunt was. Alot of things factor into the decision process when taking a buck.
Where at in central Illinois are you at?

im from the outskirts of springfield sir
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take him for sure.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Decent buck, but I'm goin to agree with H.L.H. If there is another that is bigger in the area, id pass on this fella.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question?????

That middle one w/ the caption "backyard food plot last fall", tell me again why you "didn't" shoot it??? Neck is as big a thousand year old oak. Could swear I've seen that deer, have you posted that pic elsewhere?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like a 3.5 year old. And judging from the pics that you posted of other deer on this farm, I say let him go one more year. This all depends on just how big your farm is though. If there is a good chance that he'll wonder onto another farm during the rut, then you may want to keep him for yourself.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

If you get a good shot, I'd take him. You only get so many opportunities like a deer like that, unless you have 1,000 acres of land you failed to mention in your previous post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.