Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does and fawns?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Does and fawns?

Ok I have been watching some does with their fawns for a few weeks now. I just saw one of the does with her fawn and now there are two and defiantly a age difference in the fawns. could she have had a second birth?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much difference do you think there is in age? I thought fawns stayed with Mom for up to two years? Or, if the age gap isn't that much, is it possible for one doe to "adopt" another (fallen) doe's fawns?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

They are this years off spring the mother was about a 100 yds away.I would think a month or so in age. the fur and number if spots (fading) is what I am looking at. A lost fawn is what I was thinking but this area is kind of hard for a lost fawn to find its way in, I would have thought I would have seen them (Mon and baby)together before. Although the adopted fawn could have been picked up off the property.

I still would like to find out if a doe can have 2 different off spring in one years meaning a week or month apart.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like different does/fawns. I doubt that any doe would have two different age fawns in the same year.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bushanic
I still would like to find out if a doe can have 2 different off spring in one years meaning a week or month apart.
I guess you've never seen a live birth. Once that train starts, there ain't no stoppin' it, LOL!

Seriously though...a doe ain't gonna get knocked up twice. Once the deal is sealed, it's sealed...a physical impossibility to get bred again. Even if the doe was carrying twins from the same...eh...session, like I said before, there ain't no way she's giving birth to one while hanging on to the other for another month or whatever. I don't know, but I'm assuming most litters come from the same placenta and not separate ones.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Spike

The mother doe, in the first "getting to know you" days, has to sometimes claim back a fawn that goes to another doe, ready to follow her as its mother. Sometimes a fawn that tries to call another doe "mom" will be bluntly run off. Sometimes a doe will obligingly accept another's fawn that wants to nurse. So 1 of 2 things possibly happened there.

My guess is she had taken or accepted another does offspring.

Last edited by Non_Typical; 08-03-2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added Information
Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard before that if a doe that has a fawn gets hit by a car, or dies for any reason, that another doe will latch on to the orphand fawn, and take care of it as if it were her own.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Doe and her 2 fawns living on my property right now, a month ago when I saw them they were both the same size and very spotted, this past weekend I saw them and one is larger than the other and it's spots are already starting to vanish where the others are not. It could just be their bodies progressing at a different rate.