HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Your states general success ratio? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/326657-your-states-general-success-ratio.html)

coach1299 07-28-2010 10:04 AM

Your states general success ratio?

A while back I heard a statistic from the fish and game authorities in NJ that 3 out of 10 deer hunters are successful. I think that was referring to firearms hunters during the regular deer season and permit deer seasons, but not factoring in bow hunters. What is the hunters success ratio in your state?

podunk kennels 07-28-2010 10:06 AM

I have no clue but Id venture that its not too high.....

coach1299 07-28-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by podunk kennels (Post 3654370)
I have no clue but Id venture that its not too high.....

Hey I was at the Nickelodean Hotel near Disney and I say plenty of dog deers cruising around the area and it was pretty built up. It seems like they were living in the undeveloped blocks and tracts of land between the big resorts in the greater Disney area,

podunk kennels 07-28-2010 10:19 AM

Because nobody hunts over there. Many leases near that area go for 3 to 6 thousand a year per person. The majority of Floridian deer hunters cant afford that.

timbercruiser 07-28-2010 01:39 PM

In the areas I hunt, if you hunt enough days, I would say that close to 100% have the opportunity to shoot a deer, often more than one.

Game Stalker 07-28-2010 02:10 PM

Haven't checked the standard the way you listed it but Va.,IIRC,had a total reported kill of 256,000 deer last year so somebody's doing good!

salukipv1 07-28-2010 02:33 PM

I guess you can compare success rates within your own states areas from area to area...but even so I don't think that says much.

Less you have detailed stats, one area may just have a lot of guys taking does/cows, driving up success rates, vs. other areas.

On almost any hunt I've been on I've passed on a doe/cow/immature buck/bull, I could be 100% but instead my avg. is probably 15% etc...

Personally I'd like to see more guys taking does/cows than spikes, forks, 4x4's etc...

Valentine 07-28-2010 02:58 PM

Been this way for decades

The successful hunter is satisfied with the state's herd.

The unsuccessful hunter is complaining that the deer herd was wiped out. Since he was last successful.

BarnesX.308 07-28-2010 03:23 PM

PA deer harvest is usually around 350,000 deer. Maybe 900,000 hunters. Hard to put a success rate on it without knowing days hunted. Some guys hunt 70 days a year, some just opening day of buck.

superstrutter 07-28-2010 04:24 PM

Deer numbers are much higher in north Louisiana than in south Louisiana, so success rates are much higher in north LA than south LA. The one exception in south LA is West Feliciana Parish, where deer numbers are high. The parish I hunt has some of the highest numbers in the state, if not the highest. Success is based on what area you are hunting. On my property in Union Parish, I could limit out every season if I chose to, but I usually don't. I read somewhere that 10% of the hunters in the country kill 90% of the deer. Don't know how reliable that info is.