Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.223 is enough for whitetail

Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by carldonova84
Hi,

I think .223 is enough for whitetail. That's really as big as you want to push it though. If you have 30-30 is still more powerful and therefore you don't have less room for mistakes.

.223 (or the 5.56 mm) has a lot of energy, and has killed a lot of people in wars who were mostly men weighing upwards of 150 pounds. I don't see any reason why it would not be sufficient to kill small to medium deer. Most of the common deer killed in the US are below 150 pounds. I think if you are using a 223 for big deer in the 150 and up class, then you would be coming in a little on the light side for a quick clean knock down and be generally better off with a little more weight and energy. Placement is still the primary issue, but loads with greater diameter and weight will give you a little more collateral trauma which is an advantage that you need when talking about larger deer, but I think the 223 is good enough for the small and medium deer. JMO.
PS: Personaly my minimum choice for deer is a .243, but not given the choice I think a .223 could do the job.

Last edited by coach1299; 07-28-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

but I think the 223 is good enough for the small and medium deer.
Who goes out in search of small to medium deer? We all want to get the big one.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Who goes out in search of small to medium deer? We all want to get the big one.
I tip my hat to you because any deer to me between 100 and 150 is fine, but yes I agree that the the bigger calibers have a clear advantage. The question was can it do the job. You can tow a 3500 pound speed boat with a 4 or 6 cylinder, but it's clearly not the best tow vehicle. On the other hand if a guy only needs that small engine to launch the boat in the spring and pull it out in the fall and lives within short distance to the lake, then yeah it's good enough and may not be worth replacing the vehicle or getting another just for that purpose, but given the choice I agree that bigger is better. I answered the OP thinking that the someone might be looking to just get by without getting another gun for an occasional hunt where smaller deer are the norm. If he said he was hunting big mulies in Wyoming, I'd say he's way under gunned for that purpose. If he's in Florida and usually takes a small doe then I'd say he could get by.

Last edited by coach1299; 07-28-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Hey leave my antlered greyhounds outta this.......
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Hey leave my antlered greyhounds outta this.......
That's funny becuase here in NJ I've taken a lot of small deer myself, and my friend and I jokingly call them dog deer. But a dog deer is better in my book than no deer and I'm not including fawns.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Hell Id hunt Key deer if theyd let me. Huntings hunting and the dinks are usually tender.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

I always liked hunting with a .243 when I lived in pa. It will get the job done if you place your shot correctly and it dont have much if any kick to it. my friends are always talkin bout this gun kicks like a mule like they are happy about it. I personally dont like a gun that knocks the **** out of my shoulder. I dont understand the need for it. it really confuses me when people are buying young hunters these guns that kick the **** out of their shoulders. what a great way to mess up their shooting abilities by making them cringe everytime they shoot. if you really enjoy the kick, more power to you but me personally, i like to draw the line at a 12 gauge. more than that and im not enjoying that gun. a friend of mine was having trouble with his shooting once and it was because it gun slammed the hell out of his shoulder. I told him to grab his .22 and start shooting with that for a while. after a while his shot come back to him cause he wasn't waiting for that slam on his shoulder.he could start focusing on his fundamentals instead. I do think a .223 is not enough for a deer but if it is kick you are concerned with, I believe a 243 would suit you just fine. and a smaller caliber dont make you less of a man. just my 2 cents
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the pond has 50 sunfish that average about 6 inches a piece and about 5 bass that are from 12-15 pounds, I would probably get by on most days with my cane pole and 2lb test.

But every day that I fished there, I have a chance to hook the 15lb bass, even though I will be hooking mostly sunnies.

If I hook the 15 pound bass on the cane pole, I'm SOL. If I hook the sunny on the baitcaster with 15lb test, I can still put him on the dock.

The 30-06 is fine for the 120lb doe who is broadside at 50 yards. The 223 is not fine for the 300lb buck who presents a quartering-to shot.

And no, the buck of a lifetime is not going to give you an hour and every possible shot opportunity. Maybe the doe in the food plot or at the feeder will. But the buck that will be your crown achievement will only give you a fleeting glimpse and you better be ready and prepared.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
If the pond has 50 sunfish that average about 6 inches a piece and about 5 bass that are from 12-15 pounds, I would probably get by on most days with my cane pole and 2lb test.

But every day that I fished there, I have a chance to hook the 15lb bass, even though I will be hooking mostly sunnies.

If I hook the 15 pound bass on the cane pole, I'm SOL. If I hook the sunny on the baitcaster with 15lb test, I can still put him on the dock.

The 30-06 is fine for the 120lb doe who is broadside at 50 yards. The 223 is not fine for the 300lb buck who presents a quartering-to shot.

And no, the buck of a lifetime is not going to give you an hour and every possible shot opportunity. Maybe the doe in the food plot or at the feeder will. But the buck that will be your crown achievement will only give you a fleeting glimpse and you better be ready and prepared.
I see your point. I guess it all comes down to preference. I wouldn't use a .223 either. I just thought it might work out for some people but it's not my cup of tea. I guess you wouldn't think that it's very wise to hunt Kodiak Bear with a standard 30.06. Well in any case, I knew an old timer from Wyoming who used to go to Kodiak Island and killed many Kodiak Bears with his standard 30.06. He's one of the guys that taught me that: " it's not the arrow, but rather the indian that makes a good hunter" In this case I took that more as the hunter rather than the gun, and while I agree that it makes sense to always have an appropriate caliber for the task, it still really is more about shot placement.

Last edited by coach1299; 07-29-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Had the arrow and indian thing backwards
Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

True. And I know lots of guys who made it home when the gas guage was on "E". But I'd feel a lot better if I had a full tank Especially if I end up sitting in traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.