Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting Suggestions

Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Spike

Default Scouting Suggestions

So I'm new to deer hunting, and have been trying to scout out some good hunting areas. I know this is a broad question, but what are things you look for when scouting? The area I'm planning on hunting doesn't have a lot of undergrowth because of a thick canopy, and I've seen occasional tracks, and the area has a mix of nut trees: Walnut, Hickory, Red and some White oaks. But, I've haven't run across any trails or bedding areas (at least I don't think I have), but have found evidence of old rubs on some cedars. So, any suggestions where I go from here?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

throw out some corn and salt block with a game camera...make them find you
Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tganz
So I'm new to deer hunting, and have been trying to scout out some good hunting areas. I know this is a broad question, but what are things you look for when scouting? The area I'm planning on hunting doesn't have a lot of undergrowth because of a thick canopy, and I've seen occasional tracks, and the area has a mix of nut trees: Walnut, Hickory, Red and some White oaks. But, I've haven't run across any trails or bedding areas (at least I don't think I have), but have found evidence of old rubs on some cedars. So, any suggestions where I go from here?
Hope this helps Early Season Scouting Taken from my website Outdoorarticles.info
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Number one thing I look for is old scrapes, number two is food sources that the deer use during the hunting season.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Spike

Sounds like your going in the right direction,the more time you can spend scouting the more you will find,trails are easy to spot they will be worn down from traffic if you have any water nearby check for tracks around there,most rubs this time of year are old at least where i'm at in NC they won't be fresh for another 4-6 weeks look for tree sap they will be fresh rubs,scrapes will also be fresh later but even old sign means deer are in the area most likely and as mentioned some corn out will help you possibly see deer and of course if you find droppings you'll know you have deer using your area. Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty soon the Bucks will be making rubs and scrapes...that will give you a good idea of where the Bucks are going and traveling.If You found some old rub lines that a good place to start because the Bucks will more than likely be using them again.I would also set up a trail camera along any trails to see what Deer's are traveling on them?If you don't have thick cover for the Deer some times they will bed off from your property to be safe,if You have a food plot established set up a stand between the bedding area's and the food source to get a Deer!

How many Acres do You have to Hunt on?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 07-25-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 AM
Spike

So, would a trail cam be a good idea? Also, a lot of the tracks I've found have been on an old logging road, do deer typically use man-made trails?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

So, would a trail cam be a good idea? Also, a lot of the tracks I've found have been on an old logging road, do deer typically use man-made trails?
Absolutely, a deer will take the path of least resistance if they are not under pressure to move fast. These days deer are somewhat conditioned to human scent and activity. So depending on the time of day even if the logging road is still in use it would not be uncommon to find deer traveling on it when nobody is around. Set up a trail cam where you have seen the tracks and you should be able to find out what's coming through and when. I would also suggest finding a mentor in your area to help you get started. You are welcome to contact me any time [email protected]
Good luck and much success!
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Spike

your getting alot of good info here, i would agree with it all, id second the idea to get a trailcam and set it up because that will give you alot of good information on where?when deer are using the trail or road. there are alot of past posts of people asking advice on what kind of trailcam to buy, so if that is next thing on your to-do list, id check those, good luck and welcome to the addiction lol
Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

and some White oaks

All you need right their if the white oak has acorn's on it,thats where you should hunt,deer will tear up white oak's once they start droppen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.