Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How important is your camo...really >

How important is your camo...really

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How important is your camo...really

Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Camo is nice, but it is far more necessary to remain quiet, make minimum movement and hunt the wind.

Exactly.
Anymore, I just wear a earth tone plaid flannel shirt, maybe some old camo pants, maybe just jeans. Orange hat typically. I try to make all items different in texture, color, and print.
I also like to wear a bandana(?) like a wild west bank robber. I think covering up my moon face helps more than any camo.

I saw an article in a magazine several years ago, that took photos of camo patterns in B/W. It was amazing how they stood out against the background. The surface texture of the cloth I think made the artwork usless. At least in B/W.
May have been the same article, that took pictures of hunters faces, dressed in camo, looking up at the sky(geese), in blinds and tree stands.
Their mugs were like a beacon. (hince my use of bandana ever since!).

I guess if the camo makes you FEEL invisible, and you hunt better, then that makes it helpful.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Spike

I saw an article in a magazine several years ago, that took photos of camo patterns in B/W. It was amazing how they stood out against the background. The surface texture of the cloth I think made the artwork usless. At least in B/W.

As a photographer, thinking in black and white is hard. It's a skill that takes practice and talent. We see, and understand the world in color, but for deer it's all contrast and movement.

I've had deer unable to see me, fully exposed in regular clothing, from 5 yards away. She was looking, and knew something was odd, but didn't spook until I finally moved. Almost all camo is designed for human eyes, not for a skittish animal that deals only with contrast and black and white.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

+ Whatever # we're on.

You gotta see them before they see you !

Remain motionless, quite and play the wind................................
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My leafy bug suit over earth tone cloths for Turkey worked great,it cost 60.00 bucks. I plan on using it for deer season as well because it has the darker fall pattern of falling leafs on it,browns ,greys and lighter brown. I bought it large enough to fit over my cheap Wal Mart camo jackets and jerseys they have realtree AP pattern. I guess I've got 250.00 in all my stuff,I don't think that would buy a Scent Lock pair of pants but it's all I can afford at this time. Like others have said though the wind/scent,movement and a well picked spot is what matters most but I think some camo can help you get closer on the ground which is were I prefer to be. I think going in debt for all the stuff the shows offer takes the fun out of hunting and only adds more stress on us by puting doubts about our chances for success if we don't have these gadgets widgets or thing a ma jigs. Well thats my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Yep,

still use my M-81 BDU's woodland, never a problem. Scent and movement are a big concern/wind direction. Rubber boots, wash my bdu's in baking soda, and they stay outside year round.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Camo and your choice of camo is far more important to the people who sell camo than it is to actual deer hunting. Way over rated for deer hunting, especially to those of us who hunted long before "Real tree" and "Mossy Oak" and "Desert King" came along. A really good hunter could hunt in a Santa suit and do well.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
A really good hunter could hunt in a Santa suit and do well.
Pics!! Of YOU doing it!! LOL, not that I disagree so much (I think), it would just be hilarious!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since I hunt from an elevated box blind, I could probably adorn my clothing in Christmas lights, and it wouldn't make much difference... But, I wear camo anyway.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

In some ways I guess you can say we wear camo because it's our uniform or type of work clothes,it declares to the world around us that we are hunters. Besides you must admit it looks pretty cool and is I guess practical for what we do and love.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706
A really good hunter could hunt in a Santa suit and do well.
Frickin A. This is something I HAVE to try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.