Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Tips on Staying in My Treestand longer? >

Tips on Staying in My Treestand longer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips on Staying in My Treestand longer?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

What is your current setup???

How big of a fellow are you???

I'm 6ft 5 and can't stand a lock on type stand...I use climbers, have 2-API Grand Slams, they are very comfortable...

Now, if you are getting cold and coming down, that's another problem...

Really need more details...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know anything about the area you hunt, how many acres, kind or woods, etc. But, I will say there is more to hunting than sitting in a stand all day. If your hunting area is conducive, after a 4 hour stand, still hunt for a few hours, then sit again until dark.

Still hunting is not walking through the woods looking for deer. Done right, still hunting allows you to cover maybe up to 200 yds per hour. Could be half that depending on the cover. Move into or across the wind. Still hunting demands your full attention and is actually tiring, even though you are barely moving. It takes practice, but there's satisfaction in shooting a nice buck in his bed from less than 50 yards.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just about impossible . . .

for the modern computer game user to stay in a tree stand for two hours straight.
Heck, there's probably some out there who could sue for cruel and unusual punishment for even getting in a treestand for an hour.

Actually, I had to train my mind. One tactic when young was to just stay and read a condensed paperback version of the entire Civil War. I didn't see any deer those two days, but I sure got patience and learned a lot more about the Civil War. We sure had small deer herds in those years.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

hate to be modern, but put a cam out, and you will be able to time the deer better, and ya wont have ta sit all day...
i had em timed so good, i forgot my release, had to walk 7 minutes back, and then 12 minutes back again to the stand, i walked in right behind the deer, bow in the stand though lol..but i had my release lol.. lesson learned there..
so they definitely work...i havnt had mine up for a year, but i am going soon to hang em up...also move it around to other trails see whats around...i saw this 4 point with a doe for 3 days in a row, he took the north trail, and her the west, although they meet in less that 20 yards
Old 07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

For me I try to stay as warm as possible. When it is really cold I do anything I can to stay warm. Disposable heat packs make all the difference in the world. Mentally I just let my mind wander where it wants and after awhile time just flies by. I never check my watch more than a couple of times a day. Let natural time take over and you won't notice that the day passes by.

For those of you who read while on stand, do you ever miss deer moving in the distance? I like to allow all of my senses to do the hunting so I never have packed a book along with me. Let me know how it works out for you because I love to read but have always been afraid I would miss something.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Lots of caffiene
2. 2-3 PB& J sandwiches
3. Jumbo Pee Bottle
4. Thinkin' big 'un could be coming by any moment
5. Knowing you ain't at work !!!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it is a matter of comfort you might consider a Tree Lounge stand. Just lay back and let the day come to you.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

pick a stand with a good comfortable seat hight...feet flat, make sure your legs are arent langing down. Warm boots. keep drafts from blowing up your back. Pocket warmers inside your coat, boots and pockets. A big platform that you can stand up on to stretch. a comfortable insulated seat, wider than your but. A seat back to lean against- not the trunk. A neck warmer or balaclava. A widemouth pee bottle.
Ultimate: an enclosed elevated box blind, that allows more movement, keeps you out of the wind, and dry.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default get an Iphone

, I can entertain myself for hours with it. I particularly like being able to keep track of the weather and using the satellite imagery of my area while on stand and if electronic calling is not illegal in your state Primos as an awesome game calling app on the iphone, they have everything from hogs, to elk and predators and also waterfoul. Its pretty entertaining and very realistic.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Spike

I usually set in this 2 man treestand, so i got all the room i need. I usually come down too early because im just bored, havent seen anything, or alot of times i just get tired of setting down and i feel like i need to walk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.