Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Golden Years

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

At what age do you become a old timer? Just wondering if I'm
getting close yet.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Perhaps in your hunts you've seen older hunters who have old worn guns or clothing such red/black plaid.Their tools are from another generation that you may not care for or identlfy with.In your thoughts,do you get a negative opinion of them? Will someone see you in a similar light one day?
How do you hope your hunting future turns out?
I think these hunters deserve respect and have much to possibly teach by knowledge or example.In their senior age,they still pursue the hunt.Your thoughts on this or your hunting future.
The red/black plaid shirts was the blase orange, way before the blase orange was invented.
They wore the red/black to keep from shooting each other.
I have nothing but respect for the older hunters.
Like my grandfather said, Listion to the Old Folks you will learn something.

After all I am becomming an older hunter.
We all will be if we live long enaugh.

JMHO
Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Typical Buck

My father always said he was lucky. He always came home with the elk, deer, bear in camp when everyone else came home empty handed. Sure the animals had to be there but I don't think luck played much of a part in that anymore as I get older. He just knew like it was second nature. Ole timers as they say grew up in different times. A great hunter was the one that spent time in the field not researching info online, books, or dvd's. Just like hands on working you can't replace first hand knowledge vs book knowledge. For the men of the world that walked a big path and carried forward all the history we have now I have the upmost respect.

They didn't have trail cams, fine optics, camo, scent control, or the most important part they didn't have access to the knowledge we have at hand today. They are the ones that gave us this knowledge and we expanded on it. But one on one in the field I'm betting on the "ole timer". The game didn't change much we did. Think about how many hours spent in the field to gain the knowledge that they did. They are professors of their time and I'll sit down and listen to any "ole timer" when it comes to hunting. He'll always say you don't need all that junk to go hunting. And in alot of ways he's right. My friends dad is 80 plus and just as rugged as John Wayne's image, the story's he'll tell you of how things were back in the day are better than any movie or dvd out there. They have been there done that and hell they invented the t shirt at the gift shop.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know plenty of these "old timers" and they all have valuble knowledge to share with the younger generation. The problem with uch of the younger ones is that they want it all and want it all now. They don't feel they have the time and frankly don't want to listen. They have their Hyperbole 2000 bow or Tungsten AlphaExtreme rifle and all their gear hyped as the best thing since free beer - they don't need some slow talking or mumbling old fart to tell them squat. (Of course that's not all inclusive but man that's how alot of it is these days)

I am a firm believer in a few things. One is respecting and listening to the elders. They are a great part of our history. And one should always know their history. You can't really know where you are going or make a good decision of where to go if you don't know where you are at and where you came from.

I'll leave y'all with this bit of info my "plaid Dad" instilled in me many years ago and IMO is the most important part of successfully hunting deer. I miss ya so much Dad but can still feel your hand on my shoulder and hear your voice.

"If you do one thing you sit there as still and quiet as a church mouse."

And right he was along with so much more. The years bring experience and knowledge. Alot of these young guys I try to tell them that it is likely that alot more deer saw them in the woods than they saw deer. But what do I know? My hair ain't all grey yet.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Spike

i have permission to hunt a piece of land that the owner told me just one other guy has permission to hunt. i didnt know who he was though.

one day i was sitting out all day...and at around 5 pm i see a guy walking down the hill in front of me. i was planning out my how i was about to tell this guy off and how i was gonna rip him a new one for moving in the woods just before prime time. turns out it was the other guy, an 85 yr old guy who could only move through the woods with a walking stick. he tols me it took him an hour to walk down the hill that i usually scoot down in 5 mins. i spent the rest of that night talking to him and i learned more about hunting in that night talking that i could in years "learning" from the web/books...

if you have a chance to talk to an ol timer about hunting, do it!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was an excellent post burlyman.How many of us have stayed home on a good day to hunt for whatever reason? Not to imply that the older generation haven't done it at some point in time,but look what this person went through to get outdoors.His older body probably feels pains or aches we can't imagine.He used a cain and didn't let that stop him.If I live to 85 and can still get out in the woods,I will consider myself quite blessed.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

I am not ancient, but life beat me up and it is getting harder to hunt the back side of the mountain every year. The thing I think about is when my cousins and I were kids, and went hunting with our dads and uncles for small game. We were not old enough to hunt, we just went along. At the end of the day everybody had a rabbit or pheasant or two of each and had missed a couple. We probably kicked out 50 birds and over a dozen rabbits. All the old guys stood around and shook their heads saying "Yeah, its not what it used to be." We thought they were laying it on a little thick. Now in a state where pheasants went up 15-20 in a bunch there is nothing.
Now at the end of the first day of deer season , I am the one standing there shaking my head saying "Yeah, its not what it used to be. I used to see 50-60 deer the first day." In the last five years, I have had two first days with out seeing one deer. I wonder if the youngsters think I am laying it on a bit thick? I really think about what will be left to talk about when they get old.