Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your day in the woods

Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your day in the woods

I've tried to title this so a flame war wouldn't erupt.This an informal conversation about how you pass your time in the woods.Your success or lack of is for you to determine.

I've talked w/many hunters and some act like reading or intentional napping while hunting is no big deal.I was taught to always keep my eyes and ears open in the woods.What are your thoughts on this and have you been "given the slip" from a deer for doing the above?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been one to read on stand. I just "zone out" and try to remain alert as to my surroundings.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have never carried a book with me as I want to be alert and ready even thou bordom does set in. I have dozed off from eye and mental fatigue and have occasionaly woke up only to have deer within range. A few years back that happened in Kansas and the deer in range was a 150 class 10 point. Because I was caught sitting down I was never able to get up and take the shot. But it seems the older I get the harder it is not to doze off on an all day sit.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Using earphones I have listened to football games on a small radio, but usually I just watch the wildlife. There is usually something around.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Spike

The only thing I bring is an Ipod on an all day sit during bow season. The majority of the deer I see while in the stand are at farther distances. Those are the deer that keep me out in the woods, because I know they are in the area, and could be close soon. Last year I got my biggest buck, due to the fact that I kept scanning thru the brush looking for movement. He was there the entire time I was, but did not see him till the sun got low enough to shine off his rack at the moment he turned his head.

Last edited by ZEKE83; 07-19-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much am on the look out the whole time im on stand... I dont get to hunt multible weeks and every week end like most on this forum get to do... So when I'm on stand I'm huntin...

Plus I dont get on stand to early in the evenings so sitting for 3 or 4 hours aint to tough...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

In my younger but not so far away days, there might have been a doobie involved. Now that im done with all that mess, I like to go out in the woods and just chill out. Especially when Im stressed. Its like your thought have conversation with each other and everything just sorts itself out. I have killed a few deer where I just zoned out for a while and I just snapped back to reality at the perfect moment. Not saying you are a bad hunter, it is your business what you do in the woods, but if you have to bring music or a book to pass the time, are you really enjoying it. I am going out at some point this week to put my food plot in. I cant wait. With the new baby and extra hours at work I feel like it has been an eternity since Ive been in the woods. Try going out without a ipod next time, take notice to how annoyingly loud the world is when you come back.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

i know this probably isnt the smartest but when it gets real dead, i talk to my dad because we hunt side by side also i watch birds and squirrels, ad other animals running around to prevent boredom
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
i know this probably isnt the smartest but when it gets real dead, i talk to my dad because we hunt side by side

***That may not seem like the best tactic,but enjoy those moments while you have them.My Dad is no longer on this side of life.***

also i watch birds and squirrels, ad other animals running around to prevent boredom
I listen to the sounds of animals and try to identify species and their location.I like the sound of ruffling leaves.I scan for deer and bodyparts of deer.Sometimes if you can locate their antlers,the rest of the animal may materialize.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The power of silence is what I zone in on after I get settled in and begin to scan the woods for any deer movement. But when the sun gets to a certain point the squirrels,birds and an ocasional coyote and such break the silence ever so slowly until the deer start to move through hopefully in large numbers. If not I have little problem staying on stand all day during the rut out of the hope that that day will be my day of success.All last year I think I noded one time for a few seconds,it for me is a wonderful time of the year so I stay pretty caught up in the sights,smells and cool breezes I've longed for all year. I do meditate some and pray prayers of thanksgiving for the Creators handy work because it is a feast for the soul for me personally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.