Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your day in the woods

Old 07-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't read books in stands, I try not to nap, but going to bed late, and waking up early, and being active all day etc...sometimes a nap is in order!

I'd much rather be napping or reading in the field while hunting than back at the motel room snoozing...sure your odds go down napping in the field, but they're better than back at the motel/house.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
I have always been dumbfounded by the idea of a radio or cd player. Why are we in the woods in the first place? No better place to contemplate liife and the good things. I never worry about dozing off. It means I am still and relaxed.
I don't mind dozing off, because I can't sleep in treestands if I do its for a minute or so at a time and usually doesn't affect anything (I don't snore)

BigBuck95
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I bring out my portable dvd player.

Makes sense to watch deer dvd's while hunting deer.

bb
Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm so glad I hunt in the Rocky Mountains. When I am there, it's all about the hunt and the experience. I wouldn't even think about listening to music, playing a game or reading a book. Those are things I can do anytime. I try to enjoy God's country while I am there. I have been known to catch a quick nap though!!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

well I wish I did read, cause it would help pass the time a little. I do carry a small radio with me for football games. I have been so tired before I climbed down and layed right there on the ground and slept. And didn't even feel bad about it... I say, do whatever it takes to stay in your stand longer, you just have to accept missing something while you are not paying attention 100%. But thats how you personally enjoy the day.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I read some. I think being still is very important and if that helps me do that it's worth the risk. I do scan the area often. I think being still is why so many folks report waking up and seeing deer nearby. Sleep kept them still.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

The first thing I do is tye myself in and then go to sleep. I snore like a grizly and the big bucks come to investigate all the noise. I also read a book while sleeping and dream of the work i'm getting out of at home. After a while of reading I wake up and kill my deer.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

During gun season I wear my Walker Game Ears.The sounds it picks up is amazing.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Spike

I love the peace and quiet when im hunting but i always keep my witts about me and try to make the hunt worthwhile but when i get back to the hut i relax and look forward to the next days hunting we have a great sport and its worth appreciating.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I doze it's never to the point where I am asleep enough not to hear what's going on. As my dad would say to my mom when she'd catch him sleeping in church, "I'm just resting my eyes." Man she'd get ticked when he said that!

I wouldn't have a problem reading a book or whatever if it was a dry, crispy day for the leaves, but when the leaves are wet, deer can be completely silent when they walk, so my eyes become the only tool. I don't understand using headphones while hunting. For me, that would be too distracting and too far remove my hearing from the situation. If you're reading, it only takes a millisecond to dart your eyes in another direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.