Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please Check This Out

Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some guys just like to work the dogs. Just like rabbit or bird hunters do. Also this is something many have grown up with and it's a natural part of hunting for them. I don't have any issues with it but I don't think I would like it. I don't like deer drive either but it is very common some places and that's fine by me. I would rather have a one on one hunting experience in a peaceful surrounding.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

I used to god deer doggin and I had alot of fun.Imo it is just another tactic to hunt.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

your welcome iSnipe and i thank all of you for your opinions and clearer views. And SuperStrutter just to let you know... the bucks run too.. next time you hear some dogs barking, go into the thick stuff or along a creek. Thats where they run in our club, and this year some guys pulled some big boys. Also we only use 12" beagles so you can imagine they dont run too far alot of times the deer are at a steady trot wayyyyy ahead of the dogs. We dont like using blue ticks and walkers they too fast and your gonna waste time trying to find them after they chase something 5 counties over... it gettings reall adjetating when you have to do that. And plus when them big dogs are on the chase them deer are moving and them dogs are only 10 20 yards behind em.. With my beagles they do what we call a scent chase, where they will actually stop and kick the deer up again then run but with the bigger dogs its normally a sight chase (not always but most the time), and that can make it hard for you to get a shot in or the deer is blowin by sooo fast that it wouldnt be worth it to shoot. I personally wouldnt recommend anything taller or faster than a short red bone, (truely beautiful dog by the way). Well im just glad this post actually got some attention and didnt just get shot down by idiots or not even looked into and read.

Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't done it but have been affected by it. This is only my opinion, but if you're on private land and that's the way you want to hunt, I have nothing to say against it. For me, I PERSONALLY would rather catch the deer doing ITS thing than having a deer come at me because it was spooked by dogs.

As for public land, I find it invasive, intrusive and in every single way annoying and irritating. If forces me to adapt to the dog hunting...technique. Some might say, "Well, a person's decision NOT to run dogs is forcing a non-dog-running technique on those who would prefer to run them." To me, that's like being in a restaurant and saying my decision not to smoke is forcing you to breathe clean air.