Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please Check This Out

Old 07-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Please Check This Out

I realize that alot of people dont like dogs for deer hunting i just want to really know, how many people have actually tried it before saying its dumb or unethical. I just really wanna know because as a hunter that uses dogs to hunt deer it really bugs me when people say stupid things about it when alot of times they dont know what they are talking about. One example, the dogs are not doing the hunting, some people may think that they do but really its just thier instinct. I realize its not legall in some states and in other states its really not necessary but in the south in some places, its the only way your ever gonna get a chance a seeing a deer and getting a chance. I just felt like i had to post this to see if i could get an honest opinion on how many people have tried hunting with dogs before they smack talk about it. Thanks alot if you actually post something.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried it and I don't care for it. Yes, it was fun but I just prefer the challenges of hunting the game myself. It just seems easier when you let the dogs rustle up the deer for you.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by remingtonshooter1

...in the south in some places, its the only way your ever gonna get a chance a seeing a deer and getting a chance.
Now that's what I'd call a self-limiting belief. If you truly believe that, it's my opinion you are going to have to change some of your philosophies about hunting deer in order to progress. I believe if a man/woman puts his/her smart effort in trying to harvest deer without dogs successfully, then they surely can!

I'm not saying hunting with dogs is dumb or unethical. Nor am I saying it's a lazy way to hunt, etc, blah, blah. I have never done it before, but I do NOT need to participate in it to have my thoughts about it. I choose not to hunt deer with dogs. Never have and most likely never will. I do choose to accept it's a viable way to hunt for deer in areas where it is legal. I do not advocate it or am opposed to it. I accept it's another way to hunt deer and am glad hunters have that option if they choose so. To knock it, IMO, would disrupt the unity with other hunters based solely on them practicing a hunting method I would disagree with... of which I don't.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

I never have but I have to admit, it would be fun. I am a beagle man and love the chase

But I also agree with Snipe a little, you can't tell us thats the only way for you to get a deer... Thats like a group of guys who push deer all the time say "thats the only way to get them up"... BS
Old 07-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, if it's legal and you like it, go for it.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

Like the others, I have never done it, but have read about it and seen video's of it. I prefer to hunt the Whitetail one on one, to melt into there surroundings. I enjoy being with nature undetected as much as possiable. To be able to enjoy not just deer but all wild critters undisturbed. And I'm still able to put plenty of meat on the table.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I deer dog hunted for over 30 years both in south Bama and NW Florida and thoroughly loved it. I had several good packs of dogs and killed a pile of deer. The biggest problem with dog hunting is being able to either lease or have permission to hunt a very large area of land without infringing on others that chose not to hunt with dogs. In the 70's and 80's we could do so, either the hunting land was free or we could lease what we needed. Now with some land as high as $25 an acre it is impossible to acquire that much needed land. In Florida the laws have changed and now if your dogs are caught on another property that you don't have permission to hunt it is a stiff fine. So now we just sit in a dang tree like a bird. Dog hunters brought the new laws and negative views on themselves. Sure there are some clubs that were/are 100% ethical/legal, but that number is very low.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

iSnipe, i didnt mean it to sound the way did. Ofcourse you can find deer other ways ive shot most my deer still hunting i guess what i really meant to say was during the middle of the day when almost no one feels like sitting and waiting we normally keep on keeping on with the deer hunting and thats just how we get our deer moving. Also for those of you who havent tried it i highly recommend you find some where legal to do it sometime. There is nothing like the rush when you hear them dogs getting closer and closer barking and raising hell then all of a sudden the brush explodes and you got a couple seconds to decide wether or not its a shooter or not. Its really a rush and full of fun excitment. I realize that up north it may be real clear but sometimes down here.... it would be like hunting out of a closet. You can only see 6 feet either direction. But i thank all of you for not leaving any hateful,dumb, ignorant comments like "man if i saw your dogs on my land i'd shoot em" or "thats not the way to hunt stupid". Im glad yall were mature enough to actually give out yalls true opinions on this issue. Again thanks alot.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think many of us who have never experienced the feeling of hearing the dogs getting closer have indeed felt the experience. Like I said in another thread, dog hunting is becoming a thing of the past in the south. Years ago when dog season opened, I would have dogs run deer through my land pretty often. I could hear them coming from a long distance. Usually the deer that were running were fawns and does. I didn't appreciate guys releasing dogs on 200 to 500 acre leases knowing the dogs would run all over the country through many private landowners property. Those times are pretty much over now, and I'm glad. I still do have the occasional stray or yard dog run deer through my place, but I'm sure we all do. I would never shoot a mans hunting dog running through my property. A stray on the other hand is a different story. Again, I am not going to condemn someone who hunts with dogs. It's just not the way I prefer to hunt.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

remingtonshooter1,

Thanks for clearing things up a tad. I can see wanting to mix things up a bit; especially when it's a typical inactive time of the day, like you said. I'm not for or against. I just have my traditional ways of hunting whitetails and love the quietness of what nature offers me when I sit still being quiet... slowly scanning the woods with my binos enjoying the many scenes of what unfolds in front of me.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.