Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many here mentor?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up How many here mentor?

Just curious how many experienced outdoors folk here mentor someone getting started in hunting and the outdoor lifestyle. Also share a story or experience you have had doing so. Do you know of any organizations that are mostly in to mentoring. The youth of today are the hunters and wildlife managers of tomorrow!
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I met a guy last year at a sportsmans club I belong to. He was just getting into hunting later in life, reminded me of myself a few years ago. I finally felt like I knew enough to help this guy get started. I started by sending him some emails with things to work on preseason, such as sighting in his gun, as well as some web sites to read regarding ethical shots, tracking, etc.

We got out a couple of times before the season started and scouted, found a couple of nice spots to hit. When gun season came around, we finally got out to one of the spots we had scouted.

It was a wet snowy morning, we set up in trees within a couple of feet of each other. It was a cold, wet morning, leaving after a couple of hours started looking pretty good (most of my other buddys bailed early because of the weather) but we stuck with it.

Around 10am we saw a couple of deer moving towards us. One ended up broadside at about 40 yards. I had a clear shot, the new guy could not get a clear shot. I ended up taking the shot, got a chance to show the new guy tracking, field dressing, and dragging all in that morning.

We ended up splitting the deer, I think I spoiled the guy by getting a deer the first time out. I could tell he really appreciated it, I plan to mentor again when I get the opportunity.

Rick C.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rick C.
I met a guy last year at a sportsmans club I belong to. He was just getting into hunting later in life, reminded me of myself a few years ago. I finally felt like I knew enough to help this guy get started. I started by sending him some emails with things to work on preseason, such as sighting in his gun, as well as some web sites to read regarding ethical shots, tracking, etc.

We got out a couple of times before the season started and scouted, found a couple of nice spots to hit. When gun season came around, we finally got out to one of the spots we had scouted.

It was a wet snowy morning, we set up in trees within a couple of feet of each other. It was a cold, wet morning, leaving after a couple of hours started looking pretty good (most of my other buddys bailed early because of the weather) but we stuck with it.

Around 10am we saw a couple of deer moving towards us. One ended up broadside at about 40 yards. I had a clear shot, the new guy could not get a clear shot. I ended up taking the shot, got a chance to show the new guy tracking, field dressing, and dragging all in that morning.

We ended up splitting the deer, I think I spoiled the guy by getting a deer the first time out. I could tell he really appreciated it, I plan to mentor again when I get the opportunity.

Rick C.
Hey, Hey! Now that's exactly the kind of success stories I like to hear! Great work Rick! My hat is off to you man. You exhibited all of the qualities of a responsible, respectful hunter and mentor and you are what gives our outdoor heritage a good name. Thanks for passing it on.
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
every year I try to take as many young or elderly folks out as I can, the last 3 years I've helped 7 get a deer and a couple get turkeys, kinda given some back in my way of thinking.
RR
Cool Ridge Runner! There is no other feeling like it! It's like the article I wrote on hunter safety education here is a quote from that article.

" Nothing matches watching a wide eyed 13 year old on their first pheasant hunt. With shotgun at ready and a mentor's dog on point, the youngster is poised to topple their first pheasant from the sky. A proud parent beams in the background. You feel good to create fond family memories centered around hunting. Hunter safety education is the essential starting point for creating awareness and the start of creating your fond family memories."

Keep passing it on!
Live it up! Doug
You can read the rest of the article Hunter Safety Education here

Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I most definitely mentor. I've taken my daughter hunting several times. I would have taken her a lot more but she was young and we got orders overseas right around the time I started taking her. I've also taken several friends from work. I had access to a 2200 acre lease in SC and would regularly take buddies from work both hog hunting and deer hunting. We also had a 250 yard range out there and I would frequently take friends shooting as well. I would always explain to them the importance of hunting. From both a heritage standpoint and also for conservation reasons. I would always brief them what was expected of them as sportsmen and how important it is to respect the animals and the land. I was fortunate enough to be with a couple of them when they actually harvested their first animal and it was an experience I will never forget. Their excitement was awesome and was definitely worth all the mentoring!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I most definitely mentor. I've taken my daughter hunting several times. I would have taken her a lot more but she was young and we got orders overseas right around the time I started taking her. I've also taken several friends from work. I had access to a 2200 acre lease in SC and would regularly take buddies from work both hog hunting and deer hunting. We also had a 250 yard range out there and I would frequently take friends shooting as well. I would always explain to them the importance of hunting. From both a heritage standpoint and also for conservation reasons. I would always brief them what was expected of them as sportsmen and how important it is to respect the animals and the land. I was fortunate enough to be with a couple of them when they actually harvested their first animal and it was an experience I will never forget. Their excitement was awesome and was definitely worth all the mentoring!
Thank you for your service and helping to keep our great country the land of the free and home of the brave! I for one appreciate all you do. Being present when someone harvest's their first animal is a very special privilege and one heck of a celebration!! Thanks for passing it on!
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Spike

I try to mentor every chance I get. I notice some Hunters try to hold in every little tip or trick or Honey hole they have. Our future is our young and the way the world is today some of these kids its hard to pry them off the TV or the video games. Take them outside...When I got started I was lucky enough to have a neighbor that was a great outdoors men. He took so much time to show me everything I know. He passed a few years ago but I know he still watches as I hunt. And I'm sure he smiles when he sees me in the woods with a young person or new hunter.........
Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am very involved in boy scouts and i am mentoring a couple youths that have an interest in hunting. I am in the process now of getting them into a hunters safty coarse. They are very excited as we just got back from summer camp where they shot archery, shot gun ,and 22 rifles, One boy qualified as NRA marksman.
We also did a tracking merit badge that was brought back as a 100 years of scouting
that was fun to show them animal signs and stalk up on them.
On a funny note it use to be called stalking but now it is tracking to be politicaly correct
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Rick C,

Not trying to start anything or make any judgments. So with that in mind, I'm curious...

1.) If I were to critique what you said in your post, what do you think it would be about?

2.) What do you think I would say?

I'm being a little funny here, but there's also a reason why I'm askin'!

======================
To reply to the post:

I've mentored a few people over the years. My favorite is one of my nephews. He doesn't get along with his father and doesn't have a male role model or someone to teach him about the outdoors. His idea or way to learn about deer hunting was from a CD-ROM game!

Long story short, he now has his own guns and hunts with others and himself. I know if it weren't for me, his soles would have been walkin' on concrete and asphalt much more than they do now. Because now he likes the woods and spends time in it whenever the mood strikes him.

iSnipe
Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

It was a great thrill for me to take a young hunter out for her first Turkey season and to see her succeed by baging a nice bird. I sought to show her what I had learned from others so she could expierence the thrill of hunting after working hard to get her safety training done. I am hoping to take her and her little brother out for their first deer hunt this fall. After seeing the nice Turkey his sister got he was more determined than ever to get his safety training done. I'm trying to get this whole family in the woods again,her dad used to hunt as well as her mom in Michigan but they lost the desire somewhere along the way. They love seeing the kids get excited about it and they are willing to put in the work to be successful to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.