Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many here mentor?

Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I have mentored for the boy scouts. I taught them archery and the ins and outs. Everyone that Ive mentored have successfully earned their merit badge for archery. Some have taken it and become hunters. I enjoyed doing it and helping out.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've helped an acquaintance, more in giving advice on set-up tha actual hunting. I did help him dress out his first deer last year, a nice buck. He's officially hooked.

There's more of this in the future. I'm a pastor and a local group of Christian men want to try organize an outdoor group with a faith aspect. They've broached the subject to me about sharing hunting and spritiual wisdom.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do my kids count? My son is my little hunting buddy. He got his first squirrel at 6 years old and shot his first buck and an exotic ram at 7 years old. He is in it for the long haul, now.

My daughter, who is 6 now, does not hunt. But she does go out with me every time we set or retrieve trail cameras.

I mentored a few adults several years back. These were friends who didn't hunt, but always thought it would be fun. 3 of them ended up in our hunting club. Two of them rarely show anymore due to work and family obligations. But one of them is there every year. As well as for work weekends.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Do my kids count? My son is my little hunting buddy. He got his first squirrel at 6 years old and shot his first buck and an exotic ram at 7 years old. He is in it for the long haul, now.

My daughter, who is 6 now, does not hunt. But she does go out with me every time we set or retrieve trail cameras.

I mentored a few adults several years back. These were friends who didn't hunt, but always thought it would be fun. 3 of them ended up in our hunting club. Two of them rarely show anymore due to work and family obligations. But one of them is there every year. As well as for work weekends.
You bet it counts! That is the highest form of mentoring..... passing it on to your kids. Thanks for sharing.
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Typical Buck

Is very happy to see the support of mentoring adults in the field. There are so many programs out there that support mentoring and youth hunting introduction. In Colorado you can be a Huntmaster and basically you are mentoring youths in the field. That's done by the division of wildlife. Boyscouts, Yhec, Venture groups, NRA marksman, and alot of other groups supporting and helping young hunters into the shooting and hunting world are a great added bonus. But most learn right there at home by their hero's mom and dad.

Personally I've taken it to as many levels as I have spare time for. Friends of the Nra youth range days, Boyscout ranges, and personal friends and family children that are interested in hunting or shooting I will make sure they get that opportunity. They are our future. I'd rather take children hunting than anyone else. Nothing beams brighter than a childs eyes after a great day of being in the field.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Is very happy to see the support of mentoring adults in the field. There are so many programs out there that support mentoring and youth hunting introduction. In Colorado you can be a Huntmaster and basically you are mentoring youths in the field. That's done by the division of wildlife. Boyscouts, Yhec, Venture groups, NRA marksman, and alot of other groups supporting and helping young hunters into the shooting and hunting world are a great added bonus. But most learn right there at home by their hero's mom and dad.

Personally I've taken it to as many levels as I have spare time for. Friends of the Nra youth range days, Boyscout ranges, and personal friends and family children that are interested in hunting or shooting I will make sure they get that opportunity. They are our future. I'd rather take children hunting than anyone else. Nothing beams brighter than a childs eyes after a great day of being in the field.
Awesome Blackelk! Really I thought there would be more but I am very pleased to see all the mentors here. All I can say is keep up the outstanding work and season's coming!
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

I'd rather take someone else hunting than go myself. Fishing is a different story.