Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Caliber You Would Not Use

Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Spike

Default smallest caliber

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Simple...if it's illegal I won't use it.
exactly. Its all on the person's preference. Example, I use about a 40-60 year old Winchester 30-30. I love it and because of the year it was made the shells fly out of the top. The only way to mount a scope is to take the shell of the gun apart. So it has taught me to be a really good shot with open sights and now I dont even use a scope. Most people prefer using a scope but to me just seems eh, but again its preference.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't hunt with anything smaller than a .243,I have shot several nice Bucks and Doe's with my Browning .243 so I know that good shot placement makes a big difference in getting a Deer....now on the larger calibers I think that a 300 win or Win mag is over-kill in my opinion and I wouldn't use the Ballistic-tip bullets on a Deer but know several that have!I also hunt with a 30-06,a .270 WSM and plan on getting a new Savage in a 7mm-08 caliber.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Its all about shot placement for me. wouldn't go lower than .243 though. In some counties here in Virginia buckshot is all you can use so keep it under 40 yards. About 5 years ago I saw a 300 RUM and had to have it. Don't know why but I did. I finally had a chance to use it 2 years ago in August hunting on a damage permit. I shot 5 does and not one took a step after being hit. I took one shot that I would never would otherwise and shot one of them as she was walking away from me straight up the arse and she never took a step. I'm a big believer in this caliber now.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was watching one of Outdoor Channel shows the other day where they were hunting cape buffalo. One of the pro hunters was talking about the success they were having with a .270 shooting cape buffalo. Probably wouldn't be my choice, but shows how powerful these calibers are.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I was watching one of Outdoor Channel shows the other day where they were hunting cape buffalo. One of the pro hunters was talking about the success they were having with a .270 shooting cape buffalo. Probably wouldn't be my choice, but shows how powerful these calibers are.

Where is that legal? All the African countries I know of have a .375 caliber minimum for Cape Buff only exception is the 9.3mm's are allowed in Zim.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

On deer I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .22 caliber center fire. Main reason is that they don't make (as far as i know) proper bullets in sub .22 caliber cartridges.

Ive heard so many stories of faliures over the years, from various calibers, then find out later in the conversation, the hunter was using something like a 180gr A-frame style bullet in a 300mag.
It probably just zipped right through the 90lb deer without veering or expanding, making a little hole. A 150gr cheapo Core-lokt would've dropped the deer.
I have used my .338RUM with 250 grain A-frames to take a couple of deer here in Florida. Massive trauma inside the deer with very minimal meat damage.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

Only whitetail hunt I have got to go on so far was an eastern oregon hunt. The tag was for a either muley or whitetail. Knowing how big mulies can get I packed my 300 win mag. Shot a smaller whitetail because I had never killed one and was running out of time. 300 win mag will work on everything. But I would never go 22 caliber or smaller.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing over .300 WSM, nothing under .243
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Spike

the one cartridge i would not use is the 30-06 simply because i dont like it....i dont care to test it out or dont care what others say about it..its just an ugly caliber.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing smaller than a .243!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.