Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What Fuels Your Energy For Hunting? >

What Fuels Your Energy For Hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Fuels Your Energy For Hunting?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question What Fuels Your Energy For Hunting?

At times hunting can be real physical. I'm some sure of you in mountain country know what I mean. I'm in a flat area of MN, but it can still be a killer being out there!

Sometimes during a day at no specific time, I may feel down or sort of pooped. I often credit this to just getting tired. Yeah, I'm getting tired, but it's due to not eating right. When this happens, I ask myself what I ate earlier. Come to think about it, I recall eating something like a sugared cereal, burger and fries, some sort of junk food, etc.(No, I don't make a habit of it. LOL!)

Then there are times I'm feeling exceptionally well and looking back, I discovered I had a good meal earlier on. Since eating right plays a part in how we perform or feel in the field, I thought it would be nice if you guys/gals noticed the correlation too about what we eat and how we feel afterwards?

For situations in which you know you have to eat right to keep your energy levels up, what types of food/beverage do you eat or drink?

Do you have a strict regimen of what you eat daily or is it something you may only focus on when you need the extra energy?

iSnipe
Old 07-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree cereals and loads of sugar don't cut it.I have no specific regiment.On hunt days I usually have a couple fried eggs and french fries sometimes w/a small portion of meat.
Sometimes I pack a lunch w/whole wheat bread and granola bars.Water,tea,or Propel for hydration.Most of my hunts are day long trips.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

When we're at hunting camp, we're eating like kings.

Actually, I don't really eat a big breakfast. Too many times I've had to take a crap while on stand. And I'm usually just sitting in a stand in the morning.

If we're doing drives, where a lot of energy is needed, I usually end up having a big sandwich or heat up whatever we had for dinner the night before.

If I start getting pooped, I generally don't think about what I ate that day. I think that I need to stay in better shape during the off-season. Or drink less beer the night before
Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

i try to eat a good breakfast if im goin on a day hunt (one spot i hunt is just a huge hill lots of walking up and down hill) but also the determination to get a buck also drives me
Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Any carbs should be complex carbs such as oatmeal or whole grain bagels/ bread for breakfast. Eating the sugary stuff raises your glycemic index and causes your body to break those carbs down into sugar quickly and then store those sugars as fat in larger quantities. Simple carbs burn up quick giving you that energy jolt followed by the crash right around the time it starts to get light enough to see if you are in your stand an hour and a half before light as I am. The complex carbs are broken down slower enabling the body to receive a longer lasting energy source and also you won't be hungry as quick. I take 2 turkey or chicken sandwiches on wheat bread and whole wheat hard pretzels and non sugary granola bars with me as well as 2 pieces of fruit and a 30 oz Camelback filled with water or PowerAid. This satisfies me during a full day in the stand and I am awake for more of it as well. I work at a gym and my daily caloric intake is much higher than the average guy's but a packed meal like this will be enough because I am burning very little calories sitting still for 12 hours or more straight.

Here is your free diet advice from a personal trainer.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

granola bars

candy bars/ snickers, etc...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Redbull and mt dew.I like to eat oat meal for breakfest with my redbull.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eat healthy, exercise and get plenty of rest. Energy drinks and sugary foods are just a crutch for folks who don't have discipline.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well im a hyped up, sport-loving, teenage boy so energy wise im set. But everytime I go out hunting I usually pack a water or pop just for thirst. Sometimes a granola bar.

AND I JUST NOW FOUND OUT THAT MY SISTER IS HAVING HER SECOND CHILD!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

breakfast is poptarts and pepsi, snack in treestand is jerky and pepsi, lunch is chili if have anything with a pepsi, supper is pizza and pepsi

i drink alot of pop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.