Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Urban Deer Hunting - How would you handle it? >

Urban Deer Hunting - How would you handle it?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Urban Deer Hunting - How would you handle it?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Urban Deer Hunting - How would you handle it?

Well guys, last year I right before bow season started I recieved permission to hunt a family friends property. Now, unfortunately its not like most people on this forums land where it is 20, 40, 80 or more acres. This is a one acre piece of property where half of it is a house and yard while 1/2 an acre is woods. Now the good part of this is that it is one of the VERY FEW areas legal to hunt anywhere around because it is so close to Chicago. First, it is completely legal to hunt (unincorporated area, checked with the local police, county police and DNR) it also helped that my father is a retired detective in Cook County Illinois as well so I knew the right people to talk to.

The spot where I have my treestand is place is actually a great spot. About 20 yards from the property line which borders a large forest preserve and the area of the forest preserve it borders is off limits to the public. I only have two shooting lanes both away from the forest preserve property line. One would give me a 9 yard shot (which I got a buck from last year and the other one gives me a 18 yard shot). Also, the forest preserve police know where my stand is, approve of it and encourage me to shoot as many deer as I can.

Here is my question for you. I have permission from all (only 2) house that are within the 100 yard dwelling law for Illinois. Now, here in the suburbs of Chicago, hunting is sometimes frowned upon by a lot of people. Now, I am legal to hunt where I do, what I was wondering would you talked to the neighbors, say, up to 200 yards away and let them know what you are doing and ask for permission to go onto there land if you have to track an animal before hand or wait and see if the situation ever comes up. I really don't want to alert neighbors to what I am doing in case they are anti-hunters but wouldn't mind getting permission to track a deer onto there land or to even scout. Most of these houses (there would only be 3 more I'd want permsion from) are Million dollar houses so its tough to judge what their opinions would be. Any thoughts on what you guys would do? Thanks.

Also, if any of you have an opinion on a great short range broadhead that would drop a deer as fast as possible with a well placed shot, please let me know. I know any broadhead with a well place shot will kill a deer fast but if you have a good one, please feel free to share.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

I do alot of urban hunting ,but the states I hunt allow hunting from a dwelling if it is yours or someone elses with the owners permission. I just sit on the back porch or shoot out the window of my cabin in the mountains .Just a big deer stand. last year 57 deer came thru my yard the first day of the season. stuck one from my bed with the front door open. then the wife went out and field dressed it.See there is a benifit to having legs that dont work and eventually will have to be cut off. being disabled I have a permit to shoot from a vehicle also ,but dont do it unless it is the only way I can hunt. Amen for being disabled and diabetas riddled.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

I clipped a deer's heart with a Muzzy and watched him run close to 100 yards before his adrenaline wore off and he dropped. My brother-in-law pulled a shot on a buck once and hit it in the rump. It ran about 10 yards, stopped and hit the ground. The reality of it is that you never know exactly what that deer is going to do after you hit it with any broadhead (unless of course you paralize it with a shot to the spinal cord). A good shot with any decent broadhead should drop a deer somewhat close, but don't count on it.

Will it be legal for you to track your deer on the forest preserve area should a deer go that way? I don't think I'd worry so much about ticking people off for hunting, but sticking one and having it leave a blood trail through somebody's backyard may be asking for trouble. I would have trouble deciding what to do if I were in your shoes too. Talking to neighbors might be a good idea, but may cause a big mess, also. Of course not talking to them, then having to ask for permission to track a deer across their land may cause a bigger mess. Your best bet may be to put on some nice Sunday clothes and go talk to these folks. Explain what you're doing and ask if they'd be interested in some good organic meat should you be successful. You never know! One of those millionaires may have a 10,000 hunting ranch somewhere and need friends to go help him manage his deer herd! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

rw
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

[quote=fastetti;3646450]Here is my question for you. I have permission from all (only 2) house that are within the 100 yard dwelling law for Illinois. Now, here in the suburbs of Chicago, hunting is sometimes frowned upon by a lot of people. Now, I am legal to hunt where I do, what I was wondering would you talked to the neighbors, say, up to 200 yards away and let them know what you are doing and ask for permission to go onto there land if you have to track an animal before hand or wait and see if the situation ever comes up. I really don't want to alert neighbors to what I am doing in case they are anti-hunters but wouldn't mind getting permission to track a deer onto there land or to even scout. Most of these houses (there would only be 3 more I'd want permsion from) are Million dollar houses so its tough to judge what their opinions would be. Any thoughts on what you guys would do? Thanks.

Also, if any of you have an opinion on a great short range broadhead that would drop a deer as fast as possible with a well placed shot, please let me know. quote]

I wouldn't inform anyone else that you will be hunting there until you had to in the event of a deer running onto their property. You'll end up with some anti stomping through the woods to mess you up during the season or dumping cologne or something to spook the deer if they are smart enough to do that. I would try to set up as far from those properties and closer to the state land you mentioned. Then the deer would be less likely to make onto the other neighbors properties. If the deer would run onto that state land you apparently have the law on your side to aid you in going to recover your deer.

As far as broadheads... you'll get a hundred different opinions. Alot will say Rage, others will say Muzzy, Slick Trick or Strikers as I shoot. I have never had a deer make it beyond 75 yds with my strikers. It is what you have confidnece in that matters.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You already have permission on a couple of houses within that immediate area. I'd say you're good to go by what you have said thus far.

I wouldn't alert anyone else to what you are doing from here on out. Why? Because you said there's plenty of anti-hunters within the area. Go about your business, quietly, and when you finally get your deer, hopefully your double lung shot will be good enough to down him fairly close. If not, then you can ask the neighbor if you can track the deer you shot. If he says "no", then don't sweat it. Just say you'll be back in a few moments with the authorities who will legally assist you. Then you can ask him one more time, politely, and see if he'll budge. If not, then make the call to the DNR.

iSnipe
Old 07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I'll chime in. I'm doing so urban deer hunting this year. In fact, I already have the feeder and camera going. I've seen a few decent bucks and a good number of does.

It's behind my house in a 40 acre field that backs up to a 100 acre farm. The rest of the area is housing developments. I plan on using my 4 wheeler and a tarp. I have permission to hunt the land.

However, the owner of the land asked that I don't create a bunch of drama for him from anti's. I plan on shooting the deer, putting him/her in a tarp and no one will be the wiser. I don't want to lose this sweet deal. In short, don't go looking for problems and be smart after the kill. If a bunch of mom's see you driving down the street with a dead deer you could create problems.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would'nt tell the rest of the neighborhood either. The less people that know, the better.
As far as broadheads, I would go big. A Rage or Bloodrunner 2 blade through both lungs is your best bet IMO.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the opinions guys. The neighborhood seems to be a pretty friendly one and I dont drive an truck there when I go hunt. The norm in that area are big SUVs so any SUV doesn't really stick out, unfortunately mine isn't the normal Range Rover that seem to be in the neighborhood!

I measured out all the distance to the next two houses that I don't have permission from yet, one is at 150 yards and another a little bit over 200 yards. Im hoping I want have anything go farther than that. My hopes are actually that the deer run onto the forest preserve though. Ive talked to the Forest Preserve PD that works over there and he told me just tol give him a call if I shoot one and that I was heading on the land and to leave any weapons on private property. Being off limits to civilian traffic I'm not too worried about someone unintentionally seeing it over there.

A lot of the neighbors do seem to have very nice flower beds that deer love to destroy, plus there are a good amount of Coyotes in the neighborhood as well that I'd love to stick, even some skunks that have sprayed a few dogs so Im hoping that if they do find out that I'm hunting, they might actually not care if Im after the coyotes and skunks as well.

On a side note, I went out today to do some trimming and moves my stand and two different trees fell in the last week, one completly cutting off one of my good trails and another causing some vines to shift to actually give me some great cover in front of me. Not a lot of tracks, but there are two sets that huge. I'll probably get my trail camera up here in 2 weeks and see what I've got running around. Only 2 1/2 months til bow season, we'll see how it goes!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have the exact same situation. only i live in ga, an hour above atlanta. i have hunted it for 5 or 6 years and have taken about 7 deer. i think it is awesome to hunt. you dont need to worry as long as you have a decent shot. if needed at the time, just go to the houses that you believe the deer went by and ask. they will probably be ok with it.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
You already have permission on a couple of houses within that immediate area. I'd say you're good to go by what you have said thus far.

I wouldn't alert anyone else to what you are doing from here on out. Why? Because you said there's plenty of anti-hunters within the area. Go about your business, quietly, and when you finally get your deer, hopefully your double lung shot will be good enough to down him fairly close. If not, then you can ask the neighbor if you can track the deer you shot. If he says "no", then don't sweat it. Just say you'll be back in a few moments with the authorities who will legally assist you. Then you can ask him one more time, politely, and see if he'll budge. If not, then make the call to the DNR.

iSnipe
If the neighbor says no-in WI you are S.O.L.!! Every state has their own laws on tresspassing.Here a warden / Deputy can't make a land owner let you recover your deer. I wouldn't say anything until need be. Shoot 'em good and don't push 'em.

GOOD LUCK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.