Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I'M CURIOUS -  how do you go about >

I'M CURIOUS - how do you go about

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'M CURIOUS - how do you go about

Old 07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default I'M CURIOUS - how do you go about

choosing a hunting site?

Do you spend long hours scouting for a particualr deer?

Or do you look for good deer sign and hang a stand, hoping a good one comes by?

Or do you have a traditional stand you hunt year after year?

Do you change sites based on the weather, or stick it out, or just don't go when things aren't right?

May God bless all of you,

T.R.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by trmichels
choosing a hunting site?

Do you spend long hours scouting for a particualr deer?
I spend alot of money on batteries in my cameras
Or do you look for good deer sign and hang a stand, hoping a good one comes by?
Once I find an area with good deer sign I set out something to make them pause in front of where I put my cams and leave the cams out for 2 weeks before checking them.

Or do you have a traditional stand you hunt year after year?
Yes, on land I own and land I lease where I can manage the herd. On public land this is impossible and one stand will not repeatedly produce the quality buck I am after therefore almost all of my time is spent on private land.

Do you change sites based on the weather, or stick it out, or just don't go when things aren't right?
I only hunt my stands that are set up for the particular wind blowing that day. If the wind isn't right I won't hunt a stand even if it is where the buck I am after is usually seen. I'll set up on another stand for doe on these occassions.

May God bless all of you,

T.R.
And God Bless You!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt my food plots and stations. The deer normally make a circle thru the day on my property. So I start out at the morning spot , move to the midday spot then the evening spot according to their moving habits. If I am looking for a buck I will hang around the does that I see all around the place thru the day. If it is time to take a doe ,that only takes the first 10 minutes of first light. A good day would be seeing between 50 and 70 deer a day.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

You both soudn like a man with a plan.

I've got just a couple of quesions of you 4,

1. How many camers do you have out? Did you initially or do you know, spend time to find the right location to put out your cameras, such as lookng for rubs, scrapes tarils? And how many years, or scouting sessions, did it take you to understand the best places to hunt on each property?

2. What do you use to stop he deer in front of camears, and what do you use to stop the deer when hunting, if anything?

God bless,

T.R.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by trmichels
You both soudn like a man with a plan.

I've got just a couple of quesions of you 4,

1. How many camers do you have out? Did you initially or do you know, spend time to find the right location to put out your cameras, such as lookng for rubs, scrapes tarils? And how many years, or scouting sessions, did it take you to understand the best places to hunt on each property?

I use 5 or 6 cams during the year. It usually takes me a full season to get a complete understanding of how the deer move in an area I haven't hunted. You can't tell where they are bedding and where the does hold tight with the cams, that is learned by spending time in the stand and changing location with my climber.
2. What do you use to stop he deer in front of camears, and what do you use to stop the deer when hunting, if anything?

In Pa baiting is illegal during the season and 30 days prior. So, before the season (in areas I am scouting) such as now I use 60lb bags of solar salt for a water softener tank. Not as easy to steal as a trophy rock and cheaper then trace minerals. It costs about $o.10 a pound. I also use corn, apples, etc. whatever I have at my disposal depending on the time of year.

In Ohio where baiting is legal we use trophy rocks, trace mineral salt, dicalcium phosphate during the spring and summer and have corn and a few other goodies in the feeders all year round.

God bless,

T.R.
God bless you and yours!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I vary my methods.I hunt water sources/food sources.Sometimes I go for scrapes and rub lines.I also hunt ravines where there are breaks in the forest cover allowing the sun to hit the area and warm deer on the coldest days.Sometimes I will hunt shooting lanes to increase my range.This works but has been the least effective in mixed cover.There are many people where I hunt so I use all options available.I also don't like to overhunt a spot.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

all of the above examples . old set ups but change on the conditions
Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt travel corridors. Known funnels, or I look for what appears to be a good funnel, places where the deer are known to move from years of hunting where I hunt.....all year long. I primarily hunt pressured public land.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I like to focus on transitions. For example, a change from pines to a thick cypress swamp. Deer like to travel on the edge of these transitions.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I scout heavy in spring and concentrate on buck bedding areas... Mature bucks do not move far from there beds in daylight. The closer you are the better your odds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.