Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever regretted killing a deer? >

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know you can kill a deer and still go back and enjoy the woods later.

Personally, I never get to fill all of the tags in my pocket, but even if I did, theres still waterfowl, small game, varmints...

As far as feeling bad about killing ...never! wounding yes ...killing no.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
No, I'm not a Sally. I'm suprized to see how many Sallies there are.

I have to agree with you. No I do not regret it or feel bad. I don't call them Sallies, that might make them feel like Marys! Todays over urbanized society breeds a lot of Marys.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

well in the past i have shot button bucks that i mistook for does. it tore me up, because who knows what they would have been the next year? i did this one time and was really mad and upset with myself, and my cousin pulled me aside and said no matter what if i enjoyed the hunt, and knew we were going to consume the meat it was okay. i guess everybody makes mistakes. i remember one article i read about "just" deer. it struck a chord with me and i've always tried to remember the message. no matter what you shoot, it's never just a doe, or just a little buck, it was a living animal that you took hopefully for the right reasons.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy

Yeah, I've had regrets... or a regret...

On the last day of bow season; I believe Dec. 31st, it was snowing and I just dropped off my buddy to stalk on a few does we spotted in some thick spruce/balsam trees.

I ended up driving up the road and parking along the path about 250 yards away. I grabbed my bow and was already in my snow camo. I hadn't been walking for 3 minutes and here's a doe walking broadside about 90 yards out. All of a sudden it started walking right at me! I let her close the distance and as if to give her life to me, she walked broadside at about 18 yards.

My depth perception was off that day.

I ended up getting her, but to date, it was the smallest deer I had ever shot. It was a fawn... by itself. After thinking about it, I had to think that it's mother was killed because that's an unusual time of the year for a fawn to be alone. But who knows really. When I shot, I had no idea it was a fawn.

iSnipe
Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

In or out of spots?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

As far as feeling bad about harvesting a big doe or a nice buck ...NO! wounding and loosing game because i took a careless shot YES
Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
In or out of spots?
Definitely OUT of spots.

However, I'm still confused as to why it was so small. ?? I'm assuming it was part of a late litter.

And to what I meant my depth perception was off... I didn't realize the body size as it was approaching. It was pure white that day with the snow falling good. I was fixated on it too hard I guess.

iSnipe
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I've regretted every deer I've ever killed. I don't take killing anything lightly. That's why it's my duty and obligation to make it happen as quickly and humanely as possible.
EVERYDEER!!I'm not putting anyone down but if you get sick after killing a deer and don't have the adreniline going and you not happy than STOP! hunting!
Me I regret my deer from last year(button buck) it came in fast I was caught off guard pulled up and shot it if it would have been regular season I wouldn have cause it woulda been illegal but it was youth season I knew I could shoot whatever the thing popped over a hill 20 yards away I turn my head and holy cow their a deer is I pull up and WHAM! I was pumped no doubt even when I saw the size but afew days later I was kinda upset..I enjoyed the adreniline and the fact we had deer meat for awhile but still woulda been better if it was atleast a heavy nanny doe
Old 07-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Definitely OUT of spots.

However, I'm still confused as to why it was so small. ?? I'm assuming it was part of a late litter.

And to what I meant my depth perception was off... I didn't realize the body size as it was approaching. It was pure white that day with the snow falling good. I was fixated on it too hard I guess.

iSnipe
Then I say this Isnipe, you made a decision and you executed your plan properly, Congratulations on taking a LEGAL deer that Im sure made for excellent table fare. Let the sidewalk cowboys pick you apart if they will. To hell with them.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
As far as feeling bad about harvesting a big doe or a nice buck ...NO! wounding and loosing game because i took a careless shot YES
I'm with ya...
I've wished a few of my deer to be bigger but I pulled the trigger and was still a happy hunter. We all have CHOICES to kill OR not to kill!

Amen to your second statement... we all have CHOICES to pull that trigger, SO make it a good one and don't compromise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.