Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Have you ever regretted killing a deer? >

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Have you ever regretted killing a deer?

I have for sure. There have been times when I wish I could turn the clock back for those few minutes and re-do my decision. Times when I honestly wish I had let that deer walk to enjoy another day in their woods.

Am I alone or have you also experienced a similar situation?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

When i go out to hunt something i set my mind to what i want to bag and if something shows up that i don't plan on taking i'm not going to take it. that's how i keep that from happening to me. it happens to a lot of people don't worry about it.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Spike

I really never know what imma shoot when im in the stand....Everybody wants to wait on big daddy to walk by..sometimes it does'nt happen...Ive been all year and not shoot a damn thing becuz of waiting on big daddy and never showed...Soo..It depends on the mood im in..Nobody wants to eat a tag-sandwhich at the end of the year lol
Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never. No matter what happens, I always feel good about the hunt. All I can think about is how great it's going to taste and that I'm actively doing my part to support conservation. I honestly do look at my hunting from a conservation standpoint.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, only 1 deer. At the time I only had shot a couple of deer. I was mabey 19 at the time and me and a buddy jumped a deer. Well, the chase was on. I tracked it, he missed. He tracked it and I missed. We played this game all morning. When it was his turn to track it, finally the plan worked out great. Here she comes, right at me. I draw down on her and let her rip. Bad shot but she dropped right there. I went up to finish her off and my heart sank. I put her down and was so embarresed I picked her up from the hind leg and carried her into the hedgerow and waited for my buddy. we dressed her, tagged her and took her home. From that day on I don't fire a shot unless I know for sure what it is.

Its been 22 years and 47 deer later and I can tell you to this day every detail, it still makes me sick.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've regretted every deer I've ever killed. I don't take killing anything lightly. That's why it's my duty and obligation to make it happen as quickly and humanely as possible.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Never. No matter what happens, I always feel good about the hunt. All I can think about is how great it's going to taste and that I'm actively doing my part to support conservation. I honestly do look at my hunting from a conservation standpoint.
Thomas youre intelligence shows now as much as ever, as to the others of you, if you dont have the stomach for killing dont go hunting. Go hiking. Ive pulled the trigger on everything from beeves and pigs in a pen to varmints and even some damnfine dogs that needed to be put down. Dont regret a one as I did my duty like a man.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

I am new to hunting, but I have felt a pagne of regret each of the 4 deer I have taken. It just lasts for a little bit, but they are beautiful creatures and it is sad when they go down. As I get into the work of gutting those feelings go away and I relish the experience of the hunt.

The last deer I took, a big doe right before thanksgiving, I felt a bit more regret than usual as her yearling hung around her body for a few minutes after she dropped.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
I have for sure. There have been times when I wish I could turn the clock back for those few minutes and re-do my decision. Times when I honestly wish I had let that deer walk to enjoy another day in their woods.

Am I alone or have you also experienced a similar situation?
Jimmy I would like to know the rest of the story as to why you would regret killing a deer. We all make decisions as hunters and stewards of the natural resource's we are so blessed to be able to pursue and manage through out the year and hopefully those decisions are made based on common sense, logic, information and knowledge . That being said if you feed your family from the animals you harvest regret is not something you should feel, rather joy, celebration and thanksgiving for the opportunity to partake in natures greatest gift. The hunt or enjoying the woods does not end with the kill. In my 40 + years afield I can tell you I have never regretted harvesting any animal or controlling and managing any species.
Live it up! Doug
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I'm not a Sally. I'm suprized to see how many Sallies there are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.