Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........ >

If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........

Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
....and all you could kill is one single deer per year, would you take that doe or small deer ealy in the season? If yes, then I agree, you are truly a meat hunter. If you decide to wait because you see deer every day or two, then I'm not convinced.

...I hunt with guys that will tag the first legal deer they see because they simply want venison. They (not me) are truly meat hunters. I tip my hat to them!

If I'm wrong here - fire away!
Ok, I'll fire away...

With me at least and with that logic, it doesn't work.

I decide to wait and yes, I do see deer quite often. I'm a meat hunter for the most part. I don't need to shoot the first deer I see because one deer isn't going make a difference in my pocket book whether I get it or not. I also wait because I extend my hunting opportunities and it means I can be in the woods longer to witness whatever mother nature is up to that day. I mainly wait because I'm looking for a bigger doe or younger buck. It's the tenderness and quantity I'm after. I'm simply waiting for the deer I want and most often the first shooting opportunity is not the deer I want.

I do wait, but by what you said, I'm not a meat hunter for doing so, but I am.

Case in point... 2 years ago I spotted 3 bucks ghost out of no where right in front of me about 70 yards away. They all had racks, one of them very nice as well. I ended up shooting the smallest rack buck because of his medium body size, but to also leave the largest racked buck for my buddy at some later time.

I do recall his backstraps tasting exceptionally well that evening too.

iSnipe
Old 07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk
your first question how do does taste better.. they dont have the testoseroin like a buck.. buck will get big and tough to eat as a doe is normally tender
A doe has a milk sack and hormones, that a buck does not, but I dont see how any of that is necessarily going to affect the taste of the meat. You guys are welcome to your opinion, but in my experience, venison is venison,its all in the way its field dressed, butchered, and prepared, that determines the taste. Sure the younger ones might be a bit more tender, but I dont think the sex alone, makes much difference. Then again, taste is ultimately a matter of opinion.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting deer for over 30 years, and have killed lots of them. I can only remember one buck having a really bad taste. I have had though, with some 2 1/2 yr. old bucks and older, a wild taste in their inner tenderloins (not the backstrap). The rest of the meat tasted fine. That being said, if I could only take one deer per season, I would definately not shoot the first doe I saw. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that. I can take 3 does and 3 bucks a season if I like, but I usually won't. I'll normally kill three for myself and maybe one or two more for family and friends.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, indeed, taste is mostly a matter of opinion...

A friend of mine disagrees with me about fish... He thinks that lake trout is nectar and ambrosia, but feels that smallmouth bass are not fit to eat... While I like lake trout, I think it can be somewhat "strong" while I feel that smallmouths from cold or cool water are nearly as good as walleyes..

It also matters how you cook it.. I prefer cooking my venison very simply, without a lot of marinades or other condiments..I like the taste of the meat...Medium rare at most for the more tender cuts, like backstraps or tenderloin..

All of my deer have been prepared the same way.. I kill 'em, dress 'em, skin 'em , cut 'em up , wrap 'em and freeze 'em myself... I have had some stronger tasting venison, and it has ALWAYS been from bucks, and nearly always from breeding bucks that were 3.5 years old or older.. Care of game is VERY important, but I have done them the same way since 1968 or so....

Ask 100 hunters that have eaten lots of elk, mule deer, whitetails, moose or caribou if they think that breeding males taste stronger than females..

How about hogs..??... Have you ever eaten an un -neutered boar hog over 100 pounds or so..??... If you have, that is a very good example of males tasting stronger than females
Old 07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do some think it's somehow more noble to be a meat hunter. We have guys knocking each other down to explain why they are a meat hunter. Does it really matter? This queation is posted every year like it packs more weight with the world if we kill for the meat.

Most anti's don't care why you hunt. Every reason is wrong to them. As a hunter I shouldn't have to explain why I hunt to other hunters. Everyone of us do it because it's fun. If you say you hunt just for meat and you get no thrill from it....like you would walking out to kill a chicken then maybe you hunt for a different reason. I doubt thats the case. It's exciting and fun and I make no apologies for hunting to anyone. Meat hunter or trophy hunter....still a hunter.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you completely as far as the fact that our motives for hunting do not matter...

However, I did not get the impression that anyone was knocking anyone else for thier motives for hunting.. Did I miss something..??..
Old 07-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
By the time October 1st rolls around (Illinois bow opener) I am usually finishing up my venison from the previous year. The first deer to walk by, as long as it's not a little baby, is going to get an arrow flung at it. I want that meat! After I get my freezer filled up I will get a bit more selective.

rw

This is what I'm looking for. Excellent answer.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Pygmy

However, I did not get the impression that anyone was knocking anyone else for thier motives for hunting.. Did I miss something..??..
Yes, the fact some people's ability to comprehend the spoken or written word is not as sharp as it could be, thus it's common to have someone have a retort to a statement or question that was not even quoted or asked. LOL!

However, not necessarily in this thread there has been bashing of said topic, but have seen it plenty of times in other threads.

iSnipe
Old 07-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fact that the question keeps coming up every year shows that some peope put a lot of weight in being a meat hunter. I read this topic every year. Sometimes it civil, sometimes its not. If you can't see that some see themselves as being somehow better or more pure for being a meat hunter then you are the one who doesn't comprehend the written word. Just post a topic about scoring deer or hunting for a book deer and watch the holier that thou types jump in. If you say you hunt for big racks you will catch crap from a good number of other hunters.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello jim, are we summertime bored

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.