Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........ >

If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........

Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........

....and all you could kill is one single deer per year, would you take that doe or small deer ealy in the season? If yes, then I agree, you are truly a meat hunter. If you decide to wait because you see deer every day or two, then I'm not convinced.

It's easy to say "I hunt for meat" when you have the luxury of seeing deer all the time in a populated deer state. Especially when you hold off and hopefully wait for a big buck because you know you can always shoot one or many (legal) does.

Ruffling feathers?....maybe but I hunt with guys that will tag the first legal deer they see because they simply want venison. They (not me) are truly meat hunters. I tip my hat to them!

If you play both ends in the middle, then shoot that big buck but don't say you're a meat hunter.

If I'm wrong here - fire away!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, but ask those same guys which one they would shoot if a 10-point and a nice plump doe came walking out together. The doe would obviously taste better but I bet they'd drop that buck without even thinking about it.

I would consider myself a meat hunter simply because I eat what I kill. I definitely don't do it for sport. I may pass some deer to wait on antlers but that's just so I'll have something to look at while I'm gnawing on the charred mammal flesh.

But I have been fortunate enough to have hunted in states that only have daily bag limits and not season limits. So I can be selective if I want or just shoot everything I see.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

There are places that only allow one deer per year?..... ( ..shiver..)
Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

By the time October 1st rolls around (Illinois bow opener) I am usually finishing up my venison from the previous year. The first deer to walk by, as long as it's not a little baby, is going to get an arrow flung at it. I want that meat! After I get my freezer filled up I will get a bit more selective.

rw
Old 07-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 things that seemed odd to me:

1-why do some people think does taste better than bucks? How could the sex of the deer possibly make a difference in taste?
2-why are some people so concerned w/ what other hunters choose to shoot? do you really think it will make a difference in your chances of killing a trophy?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why people hunt is a pretty complex subject...

Personally, I hunt for the enjoyment of the hunt, but the meat is more important to me than a trophy rack...My family has eaten 2-4 deer a year for about 40 years now and we would miss the venison...

I hunt somewhat selectively... A 1.5 to 2.5 year old buck or a mature doe has a lot more meat on it than a fawn...

I am fortunate to hunt in areas in NY and Pa where the deer population allows me numerous chances, so I can afford to pass up smaller animals hoping to shoot a bigger one...

As far as meat quality between a doe and an adult breeding buck, I have eaten enough big bucks over the years to know the difference..The meat from an adult buck is generally stronger than from a doe..Same goes for caribou, elk, and moose... I've had some pretty gamey bucks and bulls, but I've never eaten a doe I didn't like.. Young ( 1.5 year old) bucks are less likely to be strong..They are usually as good as a doe, although I have encountered a couple of strong ones over the years..
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive eaten dozens of both sexs, ive never noticed a difference between does and bucks.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who cares, as long as a guy is legal. I hunt for the meat and the rack. Last year I let a cow walk. I came to full draw 3 times with her being only 15 yards away. I decided to hold out for a bull. Later in the season, I was able to get on several different bulls and worked them but never sealed the deal. I was able to experience the rut at it's best and got to see things most hunters will never see. I watched several herd bulls fight off several different satelite bulls. It was great. If I would have taken the cow, I would have never witnessed the fighting bulls in full rut. That being said, if I get a shot at a cow this year, I might shoot and I might let her walk. That willl depend on the results of my rifle season. Nothing wrong with being both a rack hunter and a meat hunter.

Edit- I should add that in Colorado you are only allowed one deer, in most cases, per year. This year I put in for a doe because my freezer has only a little burger left.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 07-10-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

as far as the gaminess goes, i've never really noticed the difference, but i can definitely tell the difference by the toughness of the meat. young bucks and does are much much more tender in my opinion. if i'm cooking them on the grill or in the oven i marinate for most of the day anyway, so i guess i wouldn't notice the gaminess. when i make jerky it doesn't really matter, i marinate for a week and dry until almost "crispy".
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
2 things that seemed odd to me:

1-why do some people think does taste better than bucks? How could the sex of the deer possibly make a difference in taste?
2-why are some people so concerned w/ what other hunters choose to shoot? do you really think it will make a difference in your chances of killing a trophy?
your first question how do does taste better.. they dont have the testoseroin like a buck.. buck will get big and tough to eat as a doe is normally tender

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.