Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

We've all had it happen...

Old 07-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

interesting.... apparently I didnt realize that head shooting was such a no-no... It's something me and my family have been doing for generations, because we hunt for meat...

guess i should have also mentioned that the deer was no longer moving when I took the shot, and that the wind had died down... not that it matters apparently...

Sorry guys, but there's nothing you faceless, pseudo-anonymous flamers can say that will make me question my marksmanship skills.... I know any weapon i hunt with probably better than 95% of the hunters on this board, because i shoot thousands of rounds a year with the handful of weapons I have...

And it really chaps my hide to see people condemn the actions of anyone else, because none of us have a right to chew someone else out just because we dont like something....

This thread was started as an invitation to people to share their experiences... not an invitation for pompous windbags to make themselves feel superior...
Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk
Guys we also gotta look at the original poster's post he sounds to me like hes younger or a inexperienced hunter if we jump all over him we might ruin hunting for him so I say gently guide and tell him whats right/wrong

20 years of putting meat in the freezer, and nearly 30 years in the woods.... inexperienced?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Davoh
interesting.... apparently I didnt realize that head shooting was such a no-no... It's something me and my family have been doing for generations, because we hunt for meat...

guess i should have also mentioned that the deer was no longer moving when I took the shot, and that the wind had died down... not that it matters apparently...

Sorry guys, but there's nothing you faceless, pseudo-anonymous flamers can say that will make me question my marksmanship skills.... I know any weapon i hunt with probably better than 95% of the hunters on this board, because i shoot thousands of rounds a year with the handful of weapons I have...

And it really chaps my hide to see people condemn the actions of anyone else, because none of us have a right to chew someone else out just because we dont like something....

This thread was started as an invitation to people to share their experiences... not an invitation for pompous windbags to make themselves feel superior...
Who was it that shot the deer's jaw off?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Sure is pretty effective being unethical...... BTW for you commenting on the marksmanship required, the bigger fellow was shot from the sitting position at 140 yards with a .22 Hornet and 40 gr V-Max, the other was somewhere around 150 kneeling with a .280AI 12o nosler ballistic tip IIRC.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

easy there podunk... we dont want to encourage "unethical behavior" *rolls eyes*
Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Who was it that shot the deer's jaw off?
if someone makes a mistake, it gives no one else the right to lord over them in a pretentious display of their superiority....
Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

I really don't care if you take head shots, shoot at moving deer, or have to have them at 17 yards and broadside. Just remember, I am probably on the back side of the mountain waiting to drop it. Keep 'em coming! I hunt both Pa. and W.V. so push them on over.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

because we hunt for meat...
Simple question.....how much meat do YOU think is wasted when you shoot a broadside/quartering deer......thru the lungs/heart area?

Last edited by janesburg; 07-20-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, This thread started out with a situation where a shot was taken that was very questionable at best. The poster said himself that he felt bad about it later. Now, if it where a shot at closer range where you could at least SEE the head I don't think the poster would have, 1. not made a bad hit and 2. wouldn't feel bad. I don't know a hunters Safety class in the U.S.A. that would condone a shot, as the one that was taken, as ethical. At least in a hunting environment.

Any-way, on one hand you felt bad and on the other you call anyone who questions your shot names. We all have done things we feel bad about period! Apparently the hunters that responded thought that your shot was ill advised, thats all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.