Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

We've all had it happen...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default We've all had it happen...

We've all had it happen... we released an arrow, or pulled the trigger, and get rudely awakened from the high of excitement by the pangs of disappointment...

here's my story...

several years ago, my dad let me hunt with his ,270 one morning since i was on a stand with honest 300-400 yd shot opportunities... a big tower blind on the top of a hill overlooking a big saddle back ridge full of small live oaks thickets and acorns...

about 30 minutes after daylight, a big cow-horned spike comes in... its last morning so i decide to take him if he starts to walk out before anything else comes in... weather blows in with some tough winds, gets REALLY dark... it was 70 when i got on the stand before dark, with winds out of the east... now winds were out of the north, and that wind was chilly... i was in a tshirt and jeans...

after an hour of this, watching this spike, i finally decide, ok, time to make it happen... about then, he turns his butt to me and starts to walk into the brush... at the last step before the brush, he puts his head up and looks to the left... in that half a heart beat moment, the wind died, so i clicked off the safety, put the cross hairs on the base of his ear, and squeezed... head exploded and down he went... weather was rough, so i climbed down, getting really chilly now from the wind on that high ridge...

I hiked down and to my dismay, the dear was gone... just a toothe, blood, and what I thought was brain matter on the ground where he fell...

the only funny part about this is that I'm stomping around in what became 45-50 degree weather(yes, 20+ drop in temp... texas weather, go fig).... oh and that i did find the yearling that had been standing 15 ft to the left of the spike... apparently the bullet took a hard left turn in the deers head, and gut shot the yearling... go fig...

feel free to share folks...
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what the yardage was when you took your shot, but 300+ yards is too far for a head shot on a deer, especially an inexperienced hunter. I've been deer hunting over 40 years, shoot a .270 with a top of the line scope and I would not have taken that shot even without the wind.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

In point of fact the range was about 115 yds... and I've head-shot at least a dozen deer over the last nearly 20 years(wow that makes me feel old....)....

Last edited by Davoh; 07-08-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

We've all had this happen? No we haven't. First of all, you took a risky shot, one which ended in a bad way. I, in no way, would take a 115 yard shot at a deer walking away from me, especially in the head. I'm not saying I've never missed a deer, but taking a shot that marginal at best, is not very responsible. I'm not saying you are a bad hunter, but you did make a bad decision. How in the world can you hit a deer standing 15 feet away from the deer you shot at? That doesn't sound too credible to me, unless he was standing directly behind the deer.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell this thread is about to expload with criticism.. but my mouth is shut
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

ha ha ha agreed
Old 07-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Yes the anti head shooters will be out in abundance because theyve NEVER wounded a deer. Im fed up with sidewalk cowboys critisizing peoples shot placement. Hunters have been head shooting game for a long time and will continue to do it. If you dont feel its "ethical" dont do it, but leave others alone about the issue. You know what Davoh, I too have boogered up some shots at game, if you havent then you havent pulled the trigger very often.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Yes the anti head shooters will be out in abundance because theyve NEVER wounded a deer. Im fed up with sidewalk cowboys critisizing peoples shot placement. Hunters have been head shooting game for a long time and will continue to do it. If you dont feel its "ethical" dont do it, but leave others alone about the issue. You know what Davoh, I too have boogered up some shots at game, if you havent then you havent pulled the trigger very often.
I'm not an anti head shooter, per say, or a sidewalk cowboy, whatever the hell that is, but taking a head shot at a deer walking away over 100 yards is just plain stupid. I may could be a little more forgiving if the deer was standing still broadside, but it wasn't. If it's a close shot at a deer not moving, then go for it. Head shots are deadly, but risky at longer ranges. If you read his post, he took a desperation late season shot, and a high risk one at that. It's just not worth the risk.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

i don't head shot any game period ..the head looks horrible ,the eyes pop out and not a nice sight ..you can also forget taking pictures of your head shot trophy ...lung or heart shot for me or i let it walk ..
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

All personal opinions at best, it just irritates the tar out of me when hunters are so quick to jump on other hunters. If I have a steady hold and feel good about the odds of making a shot I will take it. A walking away head shot is not my #1 choice but probably a strong second as Id shoot him right at the base of the tail if I wanted to kill a deer that bad. Why should we condemn other hunters way of doing things? Im an avid headshooter but I dont jump on you body shot advocates. I disagree with heinz57s opinion on the sight of a dead animal but Im surely not gonna post negatively about it as we are all on the same side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.