HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Have You Ever Had This To happen? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/325519-have-you-ever-had-happen.html)

BOLTACTION 07-06-2010 05:37 PM

Have You Ever Had This To happen?

Have you ever been deer hunting on your own
property or on your leased land, and had a
trespasser to come along? Then you informed
the person they are trespassing only to have
them to act as if they were going to go for
their gun, or to be a smart mouth with sort
of threatening tones, and almost dare you to
run them off the property?

Thanks,
Boltaction

Game Stalker 07-06-2010 05:46 PM

No,but I wouldn't tolerate if they did.If you don't feel the odds are in your favor,you can always go to the law later.Show them their non-sense won't be tolerated!

DeerandbearhoG 07-06-2010 05:52 PM

IME they usually just start shuck'n and jive'n about how they didnt know the land was posted, despite every other tree having a posted sign on it.:rolleye0011:

cardeeer 07-06-2010 11:09 PM

Many times in my 50 years of huntin in Pa.. But Once As a disabled person I was attacked and knocked off my sports chair and my weapon thrown in the briars , my canes taken so I could not walk. Why ?? Because they were mad I was using a crossbow and owned property that I posted. I suffered a black eye, cut on my nose and sore ribs from when they kicked me on the ground. my crossbow had over 100.00 in damage. Never did find my canes. Yes I found out who they were. Were they arrested ? No. I decided to take the eye for eye and tooth for tooth plan. The 1%pagans had one terrific romp with them jerks. Justice served!

Bucktail_Bob 07-07-2010 03:45 AM

A few years back, a Outfitter in IL caught a trespasser, the trespasser was a older person who took a doe not far from the property line. The outfitter who was a lot younger and a lot larger beat the crap out of that person. The outfitter left that person in the woods with missing teeth and severely beaten to where he could not walk. The outfitter left him in the woods. The older guy was found hours later and had to be carried out in a stretcher. The outfitter was charged, served a little time and continues to be a outfitter. We hunted next to some of their land and had stands stolen that were anywhere close to the property line. Once, one of their clients was lost and wondering on our land while I was walking to my stand , I walked him to his jeep. I was walking back to my stand and I could hear he was stuck in the snow. I turned around got the tow rope and yanked him out. I should of told the outfitter but I did not want to get that guy in trouble.

bb

noidurism 07-07-2010 03:47 AM

yes a couple times on my bf's property. each time i didn't have a phone or camera so there wasn't much i could do except make as much noise as i could to scare away any deer. i also stayed near enough making noise until they left. i don't need shot and i also don't want to shoot anyone. both times they were pretty mouthy. we didn't tell my friends dad because my bf had to pretty much beg his dad to let me hunt there(his dad likes me and trusts me). i was the only one given permission to hunt there for the last 2 yrs. these tresspassers and confrontations are the reason why he doesn't let anyone hunt there anymore. i am amazed at how bold some of these tresspassers are becoming.

rustynobles 07-07-2010 01:20 PM

yep. had permission a couple of years ago to hunt a piece of land behind my ex's family's "homestead". i'm sitting there about 20 yards in the wood line and all the sudden i start seeing dogs streaking by me, and does busting out from all over the place. i poked my head out and saw her cousin (who was told specifically to stay off the property) dumping dogs out behind me. i went and talked to him, and he got on the radio and told some guys in his hunting club he was going to have to whip a young fella's ass. i got on the phone with her mother and uncle, who promptly came back and told him to leave (in a not so nice way, mentioning that i was to shoot any of his dogs i couldn't catch). well he left, but the hunt was ruined. i found out later he was trying to head off a "decent 4 pointer" he saw earlier in the day. pathetic.

Vulture6 07-08-2010 06:45 PM

My favorite is when I confront the trespasser and he chooses that moment to ask me for permission to hunt my land -- immediately after I confronted him for trespassing and poaching!! Either incredibly stupid or has a pair the size of watermelons!

Of course, I laughed and started counting....

salukipv1 07-08-2010 07:12 PM

Please elaborate...?

They make a move like they're gonna go for their concealed gun/pistol?

They get smart and mouth off to you?

What's your initial approach?

While I'm sure most would like to shoot trespassers, in reality it's probably not a good idea to raise the adrenaline levels...esp with guns around.

I remember reading an article about this in a hunting mag. Basically it told you to carry a camera and phone with you, take pics, call the police or appropriate local authorities, do not confront the trespasser, as he could be dangerous...

and really if an unarmed trespasser made a move as if he were going for his gun...and didn't have one, then what? say hello to a jail cell for a # of years...

Personally I'd prosecute all trespassers to the full extent of the law, then probably post a billboard on my property of all the people who have been caught trespassing my property and the outcomes....ie John Doe caught 2006, $2000 fine, 30days in jail...etc...

I always wondered, if you caught someone parked on your property trespassing/hunting, could you slash their tires? legally?

Originally Posted by BOLTACTION (Post 3643619)

Thanks,
Boltaction

Whitetailmadness 07-09-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BOLTACTION (Post 3643619)

Thanks,
Boltaction

I've had this scenario happen on multiple occasions. My hunting partners have nick named me "Ranger Rick". I typically find that it's all in your approach on the reaction you get from the tresspasser. I don't go off on a rant at them and do just the opposite. I'll greet them with a "How ya doin?" or something like that. I then ask "Do you realize your on private land?" And when they respond no I politely inform them that they are and ask them to leave and I inform them to not make the same mistake again. Now if I catch them a second time thats when Ranger Rick comes out and gets a bit more forcefull in my explanation. I guess my point is,if you go in on em like a violent tornado,in most cases you'll get the same response back.