Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Deer Hunting

Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Spike

Default New to Deer Hunting

So I'm totally new to deer hunting, and as I look to the season ahead, I had a couple of questions. First, since none of my family is into whitetail hunting, I have few resources as far as land access and such, so I'll primarily be hunting on public lands (I'm in MO). Does anyone have experience using stands on public land, and if so, what type (climbing, ladder, etc)? Or, should I just set up behind a tree. Also, most of the land I hope to hunt (and that's close by) is heavily wooded, so I was wondering whether I should look into slugs or a rifle. I have access to both, but wasn't sure whether there were specific advantages to either for wooded areas (no restrictions in my state against use of a rifle). Lastly, I have lots of camo for waterfowl, but none that would be suited for Missouri woods in november, any suggestions on what's needed at a basic level? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you ask questions, always be prepared to get a variety of answers... then simply weed out what's best for you. LOL!

To answer simply, I'd suggest you look for a rifle. There are many out there to choose from. Something many people have used, including myself, is a Marlin 336 in the 30-30 caliber. With today's ammo you can shoot effectively out to 200 yards and have a rifle that will last you a long time. Plus, it's a deer killer!

Now for the stand question:

I suggest to not get too mixed up with ALL the stuff you can buy for deer hunting. A guy can go broke if he bought 1/2 of what he wanted. LOL! I just wanted you to know you can hunt from the ground very effectively. You can sit on the ground up against a tree, sit on a stool/chair, hide behind a tree or brush, etc. In the last 5 years most of my kills(rifle) have been from the ground, usually sitting on a hunting chair of some sort.

Whatever weapon you choose, be the master of it and learn to handle it like it's a part of you. Also, practice a lot before season and keep practicing all through it. Doing that will keep your eye honed and you'll be ready when that time comes!

One last tip: If you go and ask too many questions in one post, it gets intimidating for one to read and try an answer. If you keep your questions to maybe 1 to 2 at a time, it's easier to answer and believe you will get more help that way.

iSnipe
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Spike

The most important info on hunting, is checking your regulations and laws in your state. Its a fun ride, hold on tight.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

im with Isnipe on firearms practice. Use whatever weapon is the most comfortable to use and you handle the best. You dont even need a stand either. I love to slip around on the ground, just watch the wind and keep your eyes open while never taking more than two or three steps without stopping. Or sitting against trees in areas that deer frequent. Good Luck to you sir.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

- I would suggest you get a decent climbing stand (if you are in OK physical condition). It will come with a workable harness. You can also ground hunt, but getting in the air really opens up your field of view.

- Practice with whatever weapon you choose.

- Watch some videos or read up on how to gut a deer...if you get one your first task will be to gut it out for transport.

I started hunting 2 years ago and have take a nice doe each of the last 2 years off the same 500 acre public land. Enjoy yourself.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

i'd agree with the climbing stand. if you're new to hunting and going to be hunting public land, a good way to get frustrated quick is not seeing anything. because you're high up off the ground you'll be able to see further than you normally would. deer that you may not see on the ground you'll be able to see and possibly have a shot at up in the air a bit.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

#1 - if you are hunting public ground here in Mo, you can hunt effectively from the ground. You DO NOT want to be stalking deer on public ground where other hunters are likely hunting. That is the best way to get shot. Many of them may see movement and shoot 1st and identify their target later. (not trying to scare you, but we hear the stories every year)
You do not want to hang a lock-on on public ground, and leave it for any period of time, unless you are willing to to lose it to thieves. If you are going to use a stand on public ground, I would suggest a climbing stand. You carry it in and carry it out with you. If you use a climber, you may want to go in prior to the season, to pick good trees in likely spots and trim branches. That way you will have good trees, that you know are ready for you when you get to them for your hunt. You will not have to cut shooting lanes or trim branches on the tree to climb, as you have it done already.
You can also hunt from a ground blind, that is easy to carry in and set-up when you get to your spot. If you know where you are planning to set-up you can cut some cedar branches ahead of time to camo your blind some and add cover scent, as you are more vulnerable to detection being on the ground. When you get there and set your blind just drape or tie these over your blind. If you use a blind, you may want to add some blaze material to it as you are hunting where other hunters may likely be. And you would be at the level they will be aiming.

#2 Many good brush guns out there. I also have a 30-30. Even an old battle axe like the Norinco SKS in 7.62x39 can be a good brush gun. I used one for years. Whatever you decide on, just Practice, Practice, Practice. And always identify your target before you shoot.

Most stands now days come with a full body harness. There are better ones that can be purchased. Just be sure to use one, whatever treestand you may be hunting from. It only takes one fall to cripple you for life or worse.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Take a Hunter Safety Course First.
You would be surprised what you will learn.

Good Luck
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

iSnipe nailed it with his response. I couldn't agree more.
Well said.....
Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerdust
..... if you are hunting public ground here in Mo, you can hunt effectively from the ground. You DO NOT want to be stalking deer on public ground where other hunters are likely hunting. That is the best way to get shot. Many of them may see movement and shoot 1st and identify their target later.....
+1-That statement is vital.If you are required to wear blaze orange,don't let that make you less careful.I could tell you a story about that myself.
Since you have access to various guns,let the cover/range determine the weapon used.If using a shotgun,go w/slugs.
A tree stand can provide an advantage.I've also had good success on the ground.Good cover can be found usually throughout the season.Using a camo burlap ground blind can also be very effective.
As for the hunters safety course,that's a good idea and may even be required for you.Check your regulations.Good luck and have a great season!

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-06-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.