Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand height?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default treestand height?

I have a tree in one spot that has the perfect view of a field and deer intersection. But the croch in it is only 10 ft high. Is 10 ft high enough for deer hunting? Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Depending on the wind in the area Id say 10 feet is right about the lowest Id go ( field of view permitting) for a deer stand. Ive seen many six and eight foot stands on public land so somebody has to like them short. Im an aerial steel worker so I like to get way up there myself.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

bow or rifle.
.bow, not so much cause ya want the deer to be closer than a rifle shot,
but if yer workin the wind, usin a rifle, then 10 feet is plenty fine.
cover counts as alot.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Spike

10 feet is a little close to the ground. I'd try to trim off some branches to get higher or find another tree. Are you using a climber or fixed tree stand? With a fixed stand I'll use a sturdy branch as a step and continue my rails above the branch.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed deer that high with bow and gun. I like 15 ft best but 10 will work. Its all about the wind and know when to move. Make sure you have cover to break up your outline. I set wide open in the front but I have cover behind me and it works fine.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Most stands I hang are 17ft or more.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

well as stated before that may be a little low for bowhunting, depends though on how thick your back drop is (if it were really thick directly behind me, I might attempt it with the bow). but as far as with a gun, yeah definitely high enough. my cousin's husband has a stand that he made from an old step ladder that's all of 6 feet off the ground that he's killed several deer out of.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like he is depending on the crotch of the tree for thestand seat placement. I like to get as high as I can and still see. If it is 15 feet or 50 feet, I like it higher.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have hear of people harvesting deer at 10 ft. off the ground. couple of years ago bowhunter mag. had a artical about hunting at 10 ft. I would not go any lower and might want to think bruching it up. Let us know if it works, Good Hunting.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

I think it rests on whether or not you are confident in the set up. If you have doubts it won't, because of mind set. If you are comfortable with it chances are you will set quieter and more still. Alot can be said for a positive mind set and attitude. Having confidence in your stand set up is just as important and the confidence you have in your weapon of choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.