Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand height?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have killed some deer, (and could have had the chance to shoot many more, but passed them up) at 8' to 10'. So I say yes, 10' is high enough.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by croc2116
I have a tree in one spot that has the perfect view of a field and deer intersection. But the croch in it is only 10 ft high. Is 10 ft high enough for deer hunting? Thanks
Six feet is enough, if there is cover behind you to break up your outline.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

try it and see what happens... Maybe you should hang your stand and make one of those scare crow dummys out off hunting close and put it in the stand and let the deer get use to seeinf something up in the stand... Then when hunting season rolls around it should be a slam dunk
Old 07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

I like between 20-25feet with lots of cover.If the tree does not have enough cover I drape 3d tank camo on the branches and around the stand.This way I am very hard to see and smell.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Several things you can do here.
#1- As many have stated, 10ft can be high enough, with the proper amount of cover. You can add cover to your lock-on by cutting thin branches and sticking them through the platform. Any will do, but cedar will have greenery any time of the season, and will add good cover scent.
#2- There is always the possibility of hanging your lock-on above the fork, facing into the fork. It may lean back a bit, but you should be able to get it level left to right. Only you will know if the lean back will be too much.
#3- If you have a climbing stand and are comfortable being on a leaning tree, use it facing into the fork. Attach a climbing stick to get you to the fork. Then attach you climber to the tree. The climber can be adjusted to hang straight once you reach your desired height. This may not work if the fork leans out too much, as the climber will have the tendency to slip around the tree.
#4- I believe it is Lone Wolf treestands that have an attachment that allows you to adjust the lock-on to where it will sit level on any tree.

At any height and any type of stand, be sure to use your harness.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

10 feet can be high enough in certain situations. I really think 15 feet is ideal.. not too high or too low.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

I personally like 20 feet+...it gets me above the ground clutter, gets my scent well off the ground, and gets me high enough where I can move carefully without often getting busted.

At 10 feet, you will need to be shooting through some narrow lanes to keep from getting busted.