Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

White Oak's?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default White Oak's?

My dad has told me that deer love white oak's more than other oak tree's and from what I've seen he is'nt lie'ing..So I was just wandering what is different from the white oak and all other tree's?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I understand it, "white oak" (as does "red oak") refers to a general class of oaks, having the classic oak leaf shape but distinguished by the lobes being rounded. Red oak leaves have pointy lobes.

This is a very general guide. If you want to get into it further, since there are hundreds of varieties, check out a tree identification book from the library. There are quite a few good ones such as the Audubon Society books.

google "white oak leaves" and "red oak leaves" to see the difference.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Spike

well I have seen deer eating the acorns from a White Oak instead of a red oak that was about 50 feet away. Maybe they like them more...I don't know.

~~RW
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Oaks

The difference is taste. Try an acorn from a white oak and it is edible. Try acorns from red,black, pin oak and all the rest and they are too bitter for you to eat. Chestnut oaks drop large nuts but they are usually wormy. Early in the season when acorns start to drop, the deer will always scratch up an area under a white oak rather than pick up other acorns that are easier to get at.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
The difference is taste. Try an acorn from a white oak and it is edible. Try acorns from red,black, pin oak and all the rest and they are too bitter for you to eat. Chestnut oaks drop large nuts but they are usually wormy. Early in the season when acorns start to drop, the deer will always scratch up an area under a white oak rather than pick up other acorns that are easier to get at.
cool,I did not know that. Thanks!

~~RW
Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

definitely taste..i think they both taste like crap, but the white oak is a lil more green tastin..i wouldnt prefer either, but the white oaks will shed faster than the reds, and after awhile all the whites will be gone and the deer will be under that red oak.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys.. preciate it
Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Spike

deer do prefer the acorns of a white oak over the acorns of a red oak. So at certain times of the season that's the only place I hunt (especially when they first start to fall. I've been dropping deer for 40 plus years and many of my nicest bucks have come from under a white oak or two.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go out pre-season and carry some binoculars or an old scope. Check the white oaks and make sure there is a mast crop on those particular trees you are going to hunt. Some years, for different reasons, trees won't have a crop.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea like said the taste . there is less tanin acids in the white so it is sweeter. Not that they won't eat the red but prefer white

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.