Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I may get flamed for this...

Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I expecially like it on the new show "the CRUSH" when you hear

NA-NA-NA-NA-NA!!! makes me cringe!!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigbulls, it would seem to me that the best thing you could do is turn off your TV or change the channel. Obviously, not everyone shares your views.
You don't have to share my views and it isn't going to change a thing in my life if you don't. Typically I do change the channel if I am watching TV in the evening but flip back and forth until something worth while comes on.

I actually like watching real hunting shows during the off season. The problem is that there are so few that actually portray hunting.

Most are nothing but a 30 minute long advertisement with pitchmen dressed in the latest camo telling you that if you buy their crap and plant their brand of food plot mix with the latest in farm equipment you too can drive out to your manicured food plot in you bad boy buggy and shoot big bucks from the latest in ground blinds while the deer mozy out in the open field during broad day light but not until you make quick work of your yard work with the latest in X-mark mowers.

Did I miss anything?

I understand you have to pay the bills with advertisements but the hunt shouldn't be one long infomercial.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Wow... I really DON'T like watching Potts. He gets WAAAAAY too fired up over killing whitetails. Gets a crazed look on his face that appears to be of intense anger and/or bloodlust. YES!!!
Same here...I still enjoy watching him, and just about any of them, as they entertain me more than most of the other junk on the tube. My favorites are the ones with more explanation on the setup and hunt rather than the ones that simply say, "we're hunting on this clover plot" or, "this honey hole plot" or whatever. I like knowing the lay of the land and whatnot. I especially like public land hunts, as that is often the way I am hunting. They all offer some good...you just have to look harder to find it in some than in others.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by T Lakosky
Hi there,
Wow you are a rough group! It took me a bit to decide if I was going to even respond to some of the things that have been written, as some of your comments are just plain mean, some are not true and some are absurd, but of course it's easy to post all of these things when you are a nameless face behind a computer.

Hope you all have a great and safe hunting season.

Tiffany Lakosky
Staying up late Googling yourself?

Not likely. I'm calling B.S. here. According to your videos, you should be out prepping your food plots and checking your "sets". And filming it all the while!!! Doubt you have time see what folks might be saying about your shows. As long as your sponsors keep paying the bills, why should you? I mean, you must be doing a great job if folks love to watch you so much. So you join Huntingnet just now to post 3 times? LOL, I think I just fell off the turnip truck!

Best of luck to you Tiffany
Old 08-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Spike

The jealousy here is amazing. I agree that most of us would jump at the opportunity to hunt well managed property of our own. Being able to have sponsors pay you to do it is icing on the cake.

I also certainly agree with those that have expressed thier dislike for the commercialization of hunting. I don't like it either, however, it the price we must pay for the advancements in the sport - better equipment, more competition etc. It's part of the dyanamic of capitalism.

For those of us who are annoyed by certain "celebrity" hunters, it probably means that we've watched TV too much and need to turn it off. Let's not begrudge others success. I'm sure most of us would be willing to trade places very quickly.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:02 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
The jealousy here is amazing. I agree that most of us would jump at the opportunity to hunt well managed property of our own. Being able to have sponsors pay you to do it is icing on the cake.

I also certainly agree with those that have expressed thier dislike for the commercialization of hunting. I don't like it either, however, it the price we must pay for the advancements in the sport - better equipment, more competition etc. It's part of the dyanamic of capitalism.

For those of us who are annoyed by certain "celebrity" hunters, it probably means that we've watched TV too much and need to turn it off. Let's not begrudge others success. I'm sure most of us would be willing to trade places very quickly.
So if you had a chance to go to a farm and bowhunt cows, goats, chickens, pigs, sheep, you could be chasing your dream? You would feel satisfied?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

While some of the shows do hunt in large enclosures, many of them do not so it isn't fair to lump all TV hunters in the same pot. Most of them are showing that with good nutrition, proper game management as well as spending time in the woods hunting can lead to hanging a trophy on the wall. As far as I know Lee and Tiffany fall in that category. Lots of folks on here need to turn off the TV or change the channel if it bothers them that much. I guess I missed the shows where they were on farms trying to harvest the wild chicken. I don't think I have ever seen a deer hunter that did not use something to gain an advantage over a deer (or any other game animal as far as that goes). Don't be a hypocrit, if you hunt in a pristine manner without any aid then I would be that everybody on here would like to hear about your method..
Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountry
So if you had a chance to go to a farm and bowhunt cows, goats, chickens, pigs, sheep, you could be chasing your dream? You would feel satisfied?
You're grossly mischaracterizing what happens on many of these shows.

The proper question would be, "So, if you had a chance to purchase your own land where you could practice good game managment principles, put in hours of work scouting, and spend days in tree stands, you could be chasing your dream?"

The answer would be yes. If someone else payed for my equipment, all the better. I think we often overlook the effort that goes into producing the results that we see on camera. We don't see the time, money, and effort that goes into managing a property, scouting the game, and sitting it the stands.

Having said that, I'm opposed to "canned" hunts or anything that occurs on high fenced areas. I appreciate people putting in the work for themselves rather than simply relying on a guide service. However, getting worked up about others methods and particularly their success is just childish.

While I sometimes watch the Lacosky shows, I'm not particularly a fan. I think they do a fine job compared to many others, and I admire the results they've been able to produce. I'm pretty neutral on the personalities on the show. My preference is the "do it yourself" style of show like "On Your Own Adventures." It more closely resembles the situation I find myself in. So, I enjoy it more.

Last edited by HuntingKS; 08-18-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 AM
bigcountry

I don't think so. I woke up early on sunday and there was a hunting show by tecomate and Jeff Foxworthy. They showed about 10 150class bucks in a feild. My wife woke up and said, "is that normal". Is that really hunting. I thought about it for a second, and told her, "she was right, its not normal, and far from what I want to hunt". I can buy 160class antlers on ebay if I need em. She has no interest in hunting and basically it was interesting to see an outsiders view of these plots.

Do you really think these tv personalities put in that hard work your mentioning?

I have had the opportunity to hunt on land that probably has never been touched by more than 1 hunter a year, in the far reaches of Canada. That was hunting.

IMO, your grossly mischaracteizing what these TV characters do for a living with the question you pose as "proper".

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
You're grossly mischaracterizing what happens on many of these shows.

The proper question would be, "So, if you had a chance to purchase your own land where you could practice good game managment principles, put in hours of work scouting, and spend days in tree stands, you could be chasing your dream?"

The answer would be yes. If someone else payed for my equipment, all the better. I think we often overlook the effort that goes into producing the results that we see on camera. We don't see the time, money, and effort that goes into managing a property, scouting the game, and sitting it the stands.

Having said that, I'm opposed to "canned" hunts or anything that occurs on high fenced areas. I appreciate people putting in the work for themselves rather than simply relying on a guide service. However, getting worked up about others methods and particularly their success is just childish.

While I sometimes watch the Lacosky shows, I'm not particularly a fan. I think they do a fine job compared to many others, and I admire the results they've been able to produce. I'm pretty neutral on the personalities on the show. My preference is the "do it yourself" style of show like "On Your Own Adventures." It more closely resembles the situation I find myself in. So, I enjoy it more.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

It should be noted that those Tecomate guys don't have high fences, and manage their property to attract and hold deer. They study the deer on their property year round, both in the field and using trailcams, and may end up hunting a particular buck for weeks. It's not like they tie them to a tree, hand feed them, and then shoot em when the walk up to eat out of their hand... I don't think it's a serious problem that they have great property, in a great location, with a lot of deer, and that their hunting practices allow the bucks on their property to reach 5, or 6, or 7 years old before they're shot. It may not be how you hunt, but, what exactly is the problem? Does everyone have to have an "if it's brown, it's down" philosophy? What's wrong with allowing the bucks on your property to mature? What's wrong with using food plots? How are food plots different than hunting corn and soybean fields in the Midwest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.