Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CEO of T/C fined 50,000

Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CEO of T/C fined 50,000

Was watching a show on tv yesterday called the huntmaster... Needless to say I was laughing when I seen who they deem the huntmasters...

Well it was Stan potts (what a cheese ****)
Lee Lakowski
Gregg Ritz...

Well as soon as I seen this show I thought... Man these guys are hunting some of the best hunting property in the US and that a 10 year old could kill B&C bucks were these nuckle heads hunt...

Well I thought I'd ruffle a few feathers on the forum because I know so many people on these forum worship the ground these but wipes walk on... So I started my post and didn't know how to spell Gregg Ritz's name so I did a search on him and this is what I came up with

http://www.skinnymoose.com/moosedrop...me-violations/

If you read down farther there is a up date to the story saying that now they don't know if Greg Ritz had any knowledge of this going on... Yea right... The guys a millionair... Ofcource he doesent know anything... His lawyers took care of that...

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 06-21-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Press release about the issues:

Here is the Press release from Game Trails:

“Sturgis, Kentucky. April 8, 2009. – Misstatements of fact and misleading information related to a misdemeanor case involving Game Trails, a company with operations in Kentucky, has prompted this release to clarify the record.

On March 19, 2009, Game Trails, LLC, and its general manager Dirk MacTavish pled guilty to misdemeanor violations of the Lacy Act. More specifically, the violations were technical in nature and involved the mistagging and telechecking of deer. Both Game Trails and Dirk MacTavish paid fines. No other sanctions were imposed: no probation; no loss of hunting rights; and no loss of outfitter’s licenses. Gregg Ritz was neither charged nor plead guilty to any violation, misdemeanor or otherwise.

At all times throughout the process, Game Trails and Dirk MacTavish were forthright and cooperated fully. The mistakes in tagging deer were admitted and the matter was resolved. As noted, only fines were paid on technical misdemeanor violations. The case has been officially closed.

The relevant facts with regards to this case can be accessed through the United States District Court, Western District of Kentucky, Owensboro. However, the same cannot be said for subsequent reports, which have been littered with half-truths and false accusations. The facts have been misconstrued and inaccurately characterized. This statement will present the truth.

In addition to the aforementioned, the relevant facts are as follows. In 2006, Games Trails was instructed by an agent of the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife and mandated by the land owner Kimball International to reduce the number of deer on the property to help reduce crop damage. Game Trails had been informed by Kimball’s on-site manager that the crop damage caused by deer population had resulted in Kimball International offsetting the tenant farmer’s annual lease in the amount of $35,000. Authorities at Kimball advised Game Trails that its lease would be terminated if the deer population was not reduced.

In an effort to comply, Game Trails conducted the largest ever camera survey for whitetail deer in association with the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) to determine the proper number of deer to be harvested. A formal report was presented to Kimball International by the QDMA with a recommendation to harvest 200 deer. However the Commonwealth of Kentucky conducted an independent deer damage assessment and concluded that the harvest number was far greater than 200.

Game Trails sought the advice and cooperation of local Kentucky authorities to request and receive special consideration with the harvest process. The request for special consideration concerning the deer management program was rejected. Instead, Game Trails was informed that if it needed assistance in reducing the population, then it should consider allowing local authorities, their friends and family access to hunt. This idea was not satisfactory to Kimball.

QDMA, on behalf of Game Trails, then appealed directly to officials in Frankfort, Kentucky, the state’s capitol, to request special consideration for the doe harvest. Again, Game Trails was denied special consideration and was informed no consideration would be given as long as Game Trails was in possession of the hunting lease.

Later, in 2006, Kentucky issued Game Trails several hundred Animal Control tags to accommodate the additional deer harvest requirements. The harvesting of the deer and use of the Animal Control tags were improperly managed by a former Game Trails’ site manager, who applied the tags to any hunter; essentially “community tagging” the animals. The former site manager performed all operational aspects of the business and personally tagged every animal. He was later terminated for performance issues unrelated to this incident. It must be noted that no deer went unchecked and all deer were harvested by licensed hunters.

To further clarify and correct the misinformation circulating we would like the public to know the following:

• Neither Dirk MacTavish, General Manager of Game Trails, nor Gregg Ritz, owner of Games Trails, tagged or tele-checked any of the deer harvested;
• There were no charges or fines levied against Gregg Ritz;
• Neither Dirk MacTavish or Gregg Ritz made false statements to Investigators, or any other authorities;
• Neither Dirk MacTavish nor Game Trails lost their outfitting license, hunting rights or were placed on probation;
• Every deer killed was processed and given to families in need;
• With the exception of this 2006 incident, no other violations were found to have occurred during the period in which Game Trails occupied the property;
• Felony prosecution of former Game Trails’ employee Chris Helms is only incidental, and is unrelated to this matter; neither Gregg Ritz nor Dirk MacTavish have any involvement with that case; and
• Kimball International sold the Sturgis, Kentucky land last November (four months prior to this event) and the new landowner chose not to sublease the hunting rights, resulting in Game Trails closing its Kentucky operation at present.

Due to the mistagging and telechecking at Game Trails, the personal and business reputations of Game Trails, Gregg Ritz and Dirk MacTavish have all been unfairly tarnished. Mistakes were made, and a fine was paid. But Game Trails and Gregg Ritz have built a name of excellence and integrity in the industry, and these technical violations should not diminish that reputation. It is unfortunate that multiple inaccuracies have worked to do just that. Basic fairness dictates that those involved should be judged on the facts of record in this case, and those facts alone.“
I'm not sure exactly what happened, but, it looks to me like Ritz did not have anything to do with it...
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know... Im sure legally he didn't have anything to do with it... But Im bettin this guy is a guilty as they come...

I've never had much use for any of these big named hunters... I personally think they all would do anything to stay on top!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
You know... Im sure legally he didn't have anything to do with it... But Im bettin this guy is a guilty as they come...
Hard to say. His business is in New Hampshire. The charges arose out of technical violations related to the lease manager's mistagging of deer on a lease in Kentucky. Ritz wasn't charged with anything. The entity that he owns was fined because of the violations by its employee. So, the money ultimately comes out of Ritz's pocket, but, I don't see anything in any of the articles showing that he had any knowledge of the violations, and certainly nothing that he authorized or condoned the violations in any way. During hunting season, the guy is traveling the world, and since he's got a gazillion dollars, he gets to buy hunts at all the best places. I'd bet he doesn't spend much time in Kentucky...

I've never had much use for any of these big named hunters... I personally think they all would do anything to stay on top!!!

Me neither... Well, except for Tiffany, as long as the volume is turned all the way down. She's very nice to watch, but don't particularly care to listen to her.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

I agree Stan Potts is hard to stomach. Greg Ritz made some bad choices, sure. But to bash Lee Lakosky shows you are nothing more than a hater. He hasn't had anything just handed to him and deserves everything he is able to enjoy. You can go to college , work hard and get your engineering degree then go buy farmland and work your a$$ off farming it and in the process manage your properties to grow Big Mature bucks and by your hard work shoot bucks that get you noticed by sponsors. I met him and Tiffany numerous times as well as Rick and Julie Kreuter. They have done much more for our sport/hobby/passion/ whatever you call it then I am sure you have yourself.
It is unfair to group Lee and Stan (as much as I don't like him) in the same posting with Greg Ritz with a link to his criminally associated activities.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Spike

I agree that alot of the so-called "big time" tv personalities are a little shady. I had heard the Game Trails story before and it's pretty shocking.

And sorry 4evrhtn, I don't think Lee or Tiffany have worked their asses off, and I cannot stand to see them on tv. Give me a big bankroll, UNLIMITED time off to hunt, thousands of acres of private ground at my disposal and I would kill truckloads of big deer too.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PALongspur
I agree that alot of the so-called "big time" tv personalities are a little shady. I had heard the Game Trails story before and it's pretty shocking.

And sorry 4evrhtn, I don't think Lee or Tiffany have worked their asses off, and I cannot stand to see them on tv. Give me a big bankroll, UNLIMITED time off to hunt, thousands of acres of private ground at my disposal and I would kill truckloads of big deer too.
Give you huh? Every property they have they paid for, every crop they planted they paid for. They didn't need a handout to get them started. But that is what you say you need to do what is they have done. Someone who is given everything isn't deserving, isn't appreciative of what they have or where they are. Lee is extremely appreciative for what he has and those who have helped him get to where he is. He spends alot of his time helping others including people like you who love to hunt, you just don't see it. Without these people what image would we have? It's people who look and represent hunters like they and alot of (not all) the other "pro-hunters" do who put us average misperceived hunters in a better light among those who are too ignorant to know better.

Anyone who states someone involved in farming doesn't work hard is clueless to what farming entails. That is how they got noticed, by buying land and farming it and practicing QDM on their property. They weren't "GIVEN" their start, they worked for it.
Amazing how quick people are to criticize others for doing exactly what they would do if they had the opportunity or gumption to work for it. But I am sure you would say NO to the opportunities his success now affords him, RIGHt? R I G H T !

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 06-21-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
bigcountry

I am about in the same boat as Mr. Long. But TV personalities are well TV personalities. Take em as such and be done with it. Hense I don't watch hunting videos of any sort.

If they can make a living cheesin for a camera and hunting, whatever.

But what really torques me when I see kids come and tell me that "lee shoots this gear, or Stan hunts this way, and they know more than I ever would.". I am like, you got to be kidding me. They are freakin TV personalities. End of story. Its just sad that the boob tude controls people's lives so much that they will go out and buy all this junk that they don't need. You just don't see kids wanting to learn the basics anymore.

Only reason lee has a tv show is because of an eye candy wife.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The story is more than a year old. And I never heard of any of those "huntmasters"...whatever that is.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

What gets me is every year I read the post from crybabies that are jealous of all other hunters that have it good. If someone has a big farm, private land, food plots, hunts over bait, uses a box blind,....what ever. Its like unless you hunt heavily hunted public land with a spear or long bow then you suck as a hunter.

I get sick of the bad mouthing the "pro hunter". If you don't like a show then don't watch it. Its that easy. Many of these guys were successful and worked their way to the top. Sure it may not be the real world that most of us have to contend with. I'm glad we have outdoor channels full of hunting shows. Beats the days when I had to wait until Saturday to get to see the Fish'in Hole. That was all we had to watch. No hunting shows. At least now we have many shows to watch and it may help keep young hunters coming into the sport.

Most of these guys work hard and spend many hours on the road and in the tree to get the 30 minutes you see on TV. They also are in it to make a living so I see no need to bad mouth the guys. Stop measuring yourself with someone on TV and just enjoy it for what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.