Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A wounded deer will head towards _______? >

A wounded deer will head towards _______?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time a deer will go to water is if they are gut shot. They will get a high fever and will go to the water. A deer hit hard is thinking one thing... go somewhere for protection so that means cover. There may be water near by but they aren't heading to the water but the cover.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The butcher shop.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on where they are shot where they end up. A vital shot such as liver or other organ will result in death faster thus they are usually found in an area where they feel safer just to escape the immediate danger. A deer who has been gut shot will do the same but alot of times doesn't die within hours. With a belly ache they would likely go to a water source to drink to soothe the upset stomach and fight dehydration much like we would. Then they could hold tight until death because of the pain caused by every step they take. I believe any deer with the time to make it toward water will eventually get there and most likely die there.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Spike

Default NaPPY13

I am a one shot one kill kind of guy, so i dont need any tracking experiences

expect hunter
Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Apparently you haven't been hunting long
Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Depends on where they are shot where they end up. A vital shot such as liver or other organ will result in death faster thus they are usually found in an area where they feel safer just to escape the immediate danger. A deer who has been gut shot will do the same but alot of times doesn't die within hours. With a belly ache they would likely go to a water source to drink to soothe the upset stomach and fight dehydration much like we would. Then they could hold tight until death because of the pain caused by every step they take. I believe any deer with the time to make it toward water will eventually get there and most likely die there.
Exactly what I was thinking. Depending on the wound and how close to death they are will depend on it. If heavy cover is close and the wound is fatal in the close future (Liver and such) they will head straight to the heavy cover. I have to say I have found more than one deer skeleton with a arrow in it in thick cover when I have been rabbit and pheasant hunting. Seems like they know to escape iminent danger by heading to the thick stuff. If it is a wound that might not kill them immediately or even at all, I think they will head to water (if close enough) with some sort of good cover around it. I have to think that more often than not, the heavy cover will win for a deer. Put that near water and you most likely have a good spot for dying deer. Cattails near a swamp would be the first place I'd search for a wounded deer or even a drainage ditch in ag areas. I know of a few guys that have lost bucks in the fall after endless searching and once the spring rolls around they search all the heavy cover and ditches in the area and have found a few skulls of with antlers still attached whether there's or not.

Also, good post question. Good to hear what people's opinions are on this.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

water or thick cover, whichever is closest. I've found a many of them in both. Normally with dogs on their butt they head to water. Pulled 3 bucks last yr out of thigh-deep water. Our land is flat as a pancake so I'm not sure about the uphill/downhill arguement..
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
X2...thats what i would have answerd, also seen them run back in the direction they came in and same trail.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nappy13
I am a one shot one kill kind of guy, so i dont need any tracking experiences

expect hunter

Not only are you demonstrating poor grammar, you're also a pretty crappy hunter. Ignorance is bliss.

If you can't respond to post with a semi-educated response, then please don't bother posting at all. I don't find you to be amusing at all.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

All the deer I have shot have either gone into a thicket or into water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.