Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A wounded deer will head towards _______? >

A wounded deer will head towards _______?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A wounded deer will head towards _______?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Spike

Default A wounded deer will head towards _______?

If a deer is wounded what are your expereinces in the direction they tend to run? Towards water, food, a thick cover, bedding areas, etc?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

IME cover is the answer. Almost any animal Ive ever seen wounded will head for the thickest accesible cover for obvious reasons.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

A wounded deer will head towards Water__.
If there is open water any where close.
Thats where deer will go.
All the deer I have seen shot close to water, thats where you find them floating.
Even in the hunting shows, when deer is shot close to open water, they show the hunter wading in the water to get the deer.

JMHO
Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

All the ones that I have seen have headed for thick cover and they bed down till things calm down then they will head for water.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sproket
All the ones that I have seen have headed for thick cover and they bed down till things calm down then they will head for water.
I gues its, which ever the deer is closest to at the time.

JMHO
Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't think a deer has the ability to reason where it is heading after it has been seriously wounded. I think they simply run like hell...and cover may well be where they are headed because that's where they run when confused.

As far as towards water, it stands to reason that water will be the lowest point around and a wounded animal will likely take the path of least resistance; which is normally downhill.

Just my observations.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes i agree with the previous...when trackin blood with the dog, it seems as though the deer are headed in the path of least resistance..
usually the lane you see from afar, is where they went..
the bigger openin in the tree's
and the path thats easier to see on the run, if you will.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Spike

Seems that they always stick to a deer trail of some sort from the start but when they know something just isn't good, they hit some thick/gnarly cover to bed up and lay low... also, I'd say water.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pro-Line
I really don't think a deer has the ability to reason where it is heading after it has been seriously wounded. I think they simply run like hell...and cover may well be where they are headed because that's where they run when confused.

As far as towards water, it stands to reason that water will be the lowest point around and a wounded animal will likely take the path of least resistance; which is normally downhill.

Just my observations.
Just went back and read this post.. I'd agree with you.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think alot of time they try to get back to their core area after being shot. Which is their place of security. They will drag you right into their bedding area. Lot of times you find rubs in the areas that they go. I have found a few deer right next to the water or in the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.