Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail cameras and use

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trail cameras and use

I am wondering what is a good trail camera for under $200. I also am wondering if I should place camera on future treestand trees or just in area? and is it too early to put cameras out? Thanks to all that respond.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is never to early to put a camera out.. It is always good to get pics of the deer or what ever you have in mind. For as far as a decent cam under $200 I am not real sure. Try posting this in the trail cam forum and I am sure you will get alot of different results.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

jus make sure in doesn't have a flash..it doesn't necessarily scare the deer away, but ya can tell they are a lil confused.
video is good..and something with internal and external memory features..solar ready is a plus..and 6V..lantern style rechargeable is good even with out the panel. i recomend a panel right off the bat..only 20-40 $$
Old 06-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Spike

I really like the Moultrie i40. I believe they can be found in the $150-$175 range. Mine takes great photos and has excellent battery life (even during the cold New England winters). It doesn't use a flash, which I find useful for taking some interesting pictures inside the house during the off season
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ty=1&hasJS=tru

Check this cam out. Its a lil over what you are looking to buy but well worth it. the battery life is insane and takes amazing pictures!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as when is a good time to place trailcams, there is no bad time to do it because you never know what you're going to get. Good trailcams in the $200.00 range are Bushnell Trophycam, Moultrie I-40, on sale right now on Moltrie's website for $119.00. Some of the Spypoint cameras are getting good reviews as well. I hesitate to recommend the Cuddeback Capture because I have not had very good luck with mine but some guys really like them. Good place for reviews is www.chasingame.com and www.trailcampro.com Come check out the trailcam section on this site for great advice and to see examples from nearly every camera out there.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Typical Buck

Stealthcam i540ir, Its a good camera for the money. I use two, wouldnt hesitate to buy another.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now is a very good time to have a trail camera out,the Bucks are growing their antlers,the Does are dropping Fawns and the Turkeys are moving around with their baby Pullets/Chicks.

The newer Moultrie Camera's are out now and are very reasonable too,not sure on how good they are but its worth a try?I've seen them advertised for $100.00 and $119.00 for the newer IR camera and as PastorJim mentioned You can check out the refurbished Moultries on sale at the Moultries Web Site,I would reccomend the I-60 IR Camera because of the built-in viewer and all the extra features on it....also as mentioned the Bushnell Camera's have a good reputation and the newer Camo Bone Collector is a good looking camera that has up to 8 megapixels.

www.moultriefeeders.com
Old 06-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

If you are setting up on a trail or movement areas without bait then you need a cam with a 1-2 second trigger and you are limited in the $200 range.

If you are setting up on bait then the trigger isn't a huge deal but other things may be of interest like pic quality, battery life, delay period, video etc...

As advised you should visit www.chasingame.com and read up.
Very good information out there by people who use cameras a lot.