Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Attractant? and more...

Old 06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Cool Deer Attractant? and more...

Hey all,

I am from western colorado and have hunted mule deer and elk my whole life. I have never whitetail hunted before. But this year I drew a tag for whitetail deer in eastern colorado. Just wondering how good a white livestock salt block would work for atracting deer? Is it really worth buying the special deer licks? Some of you have probably been asked this before. Also, any good tips for a first time whitetail hunter? P.S. I will be hunting with stick and string.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never heard of anybody having any luck hunting over a salt lick. They utilize them, but not on a consistent/daily basis. I would try to figure out a feeding area and set up on trails or if it is more open land maybe a spot and stalk method.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I figured they wouldnt be to good for hunting over, but what about just for gettin some trail cam pics to see whats around? And, You say spot and stalk method... I have gotten well within bow range of many does just walkin around... but can you do the same with bucks? ... will this be easier than elk hunting?

Last edited by .243coyote; 06-06-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Your going to put out any kind of scent to draw the Deer in I would reccomend using the different scent waffers from Hunters Specialities.I believe they have some that are Doe Urine and another that is Doe in Estrous,there are 3 scent waffers stored in a small plastic container and you simply take them out and use the neat little hangers that hinge out and pop in the small holes on the side of the waffer.When Your done with them simply fold the little arms inward and place them back inside the plastic container and they regenerate themselves again.They also have a scent waffer that is Earth scent or even Pine scent too to use to cover up your own scent and it can be safety pinned to your hat,clothes or stand.

There's another Company that has several different scent waffers shaped like leaves,I'm thinking the Red ones are Doe Urine and the Gold ones are the Doe in Estrous?These waffers fit over the tree limb,weed or anything that it will hook over.I reccomend You use the regular Doe Urine waffers early in the year and the Doe in Estrous closer to the Rut Season.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

To help with getting more pin-pointed answers, can you be more descriptive of the area and terrain you will be hunting?

iSnipe
Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
To help with getting more pin-pointed answers, can you be more descriptive of the area and terrain you will be hunting?

iSnipe
I will be hunting in some pretty thick woods along a river. Just your basic river bottom I guess.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Spike

I use Tink's #69 Doe-In Rut lure. Last season I didn't, I went with some other brand and it is a mistake I will never make again. #69 brings'em in hot.