Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Flenching

Old 06-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default Flenching

Not sure if this is right place for this or not.......

Something I have noticed over the last couple of years is I have started to developed a flench. I have had the same .270 for the last 12 years and don't know why this has started? I have never had this problem before, and don't want to take a chance when taking a shot. Does anyone know how to stop this or know what I can do to reduce this?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

stop anticapating the shot. pull slowly so it is a litlle bit of a surprise when it goes off
Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wear ear muffs as well as ear plugs. Practice hitting small targets with a .22 or take up squirrel hunting. It's about getting into the habit of shooting properly without fearing the recoil or the report. Try using a lighter bullet if you are sensitive to recoil.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've had my old .270 for almost 40 years and for the first 35 or so I absolutely hated shooting it. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and it made it a pleasure to shoot, no more flinching. Try one, you'll love it.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
stop anticapating the shot. pull slowly so it is a litlle bit of a surprise when it goes off
I think this is it! I beleive I am anticipating the shot. It seems as this has never bothered me until this last season.

The recoil or the report of the rifle is not really that bad (the gun is so darn heavy it asorbs most of it).

Do you think lowering the trigger pull to 2lbs. would help?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

What is flenching? Am I missing something here?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Take a friend to the range with you one day. Have him (or her if you're lucky) load your gun for you. Don't watch him load it, just shoot it. Have him randomly load an empty. If you flinch and the gun doesn't go off, you'll know it, he'll know it, and anyone else around will know it. It will make you feel about an inch tall, and I almost guarantee you'll squeeze smooth the next shot.

Be ready to get laughed at! But it works.

rw
Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably means "Flinching" aka jerking when anticipating the Rifle going off!

One thing that may help also is using the Remington "Managed Recoil" shells to help with the recoil.These shells will need to be used in a Bolt-Action Rifle or a Single Shot Rifle because I don't think they will eject properly in a Semi-Automatic Rifle that may not have enough powder to eject a shell well enough.

You should also use ear muffs or ear plugs so the sound doesn't bother You when shooting or sighting your Rifle in.I always used a Remington 30-06 and have trouble with flinching also...just anticipating the shot made me nervous!I ended up buying a Browning .243 A-bolt Rifle and it has help me a lot in shooting a Rifle,I also bought a older used Remington Bolt-action 30-06 so I could shoot the Managed Recoil shells that are 125 grain in a lighter load...I haven't sighted the 30-06 in yet because I want to change out the old scope and mount a better Leupold 3X9X 40mm scope then sight it in with it.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 06-01-2010 at 06:03 PM.