HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Like your conservation laws? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/323795-like-your-conservation-laws.html)

spudrow 05-26-2010 02:40 PM

Like your conservation laws?

I am from Missouri and I think our consevation department does a great job for us hunters and fishermen/women. We can hunt 7 days a week, lots of game and fish, we have liberal limits on game. We have millions of acres of public land to hunt and fish. The cost of tags are very reasonable. The conservation department has meetings throughout the year with public imput and suggestions are welcomed.

Do you like the laws in your state?

Spudrow from Mo

SchuLace 05-26-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by spudrow (Post 3630629)
I am from Missouri and I think our consevation department does a great job for us hunters and fishermen/women. We can hunt 7 days a week, lots of game and fish, we have liberal limits on game. We have millions of acres of public land to hunt and fish. The cost of tags are very reasonable. The conservation department has meetings throughout the year with public imput and suggestions are welcomed.

Spudrow from Mo

Pretty much the same here in SD. Really can't think anything to complain about. Lots of opportunities to hunt and fish and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do it.

SuperRedHawk 05-26-2010 08:30 PM

Illinois has always been great. Getting a little concerned lately with the addition of more seasons/doe tags. Seems they want the herd smaller every year, we'll see how that pans out.
I would also like to see more wardens. There are just not enough of them to handle the amount of poaching going on here.

Father Forkhorn 05-27-2010 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by spudrow (Post 3630629)
I am from Missouri and I think our consevation department does a great job for us hunters and fishermen/women...

Spudrow from Mo

Missouri, which I can literally see from my place in Kansas, does indeed seem to do well.

As for Kansas, I'm well-pleased. We have great hunting and fishing. Deer, turkeys, pheasants, and quail are well-known and we have excellent rabbit and squirrel hunting that gets overshadowed (rabbits are year round and squirrels open June 1st and go through February). Pronghorns are out in the west, though you have to draw a tag.

The biggest negative is lack of public land, but they do a good job of arranging lease agreements with landowners to allow walk-in access to hunters and fishermen.

They also have fisheries assistance program to help local communities to stock their water supplies, ponds in city parks, etc. I understand it recently won an award. You're out of luck if your idea of fishing is wading in a trout stream. But if you enjoy the warmwater species, there's plenty of water that's well-manged and receives low pressure.

newton29 05-27-2010 03:09 PM

No complaint with Arkansas. $25 for deer, turkey, and bear all methods. I would be willing to pay more if they would use it towards more enforcement officers.

GTOHunter 05-27-2010 05:12 PM

I agree wih You Spudrow...we do have it pretty good here in MO.,the money made from license fee's etc. seem to be spent well and the Missouri Dept of Conservation have been making it better for the Youths to be able to Hunt including lowering the prices for the Younger Hunters and giving them an extra Season for Deer Season.I think we could also use a few more Conservation Agents to check out certain problem Area's/Counties or just to make an apearance to let us know things are in check!We have several different times of the year for the Youths and Older Hunters also to take the Hunter Safety Course and they are all provided "Free of Charge" and I highly reccomend we use them or take a Youth in to take the Classes!

chrissum 05-30-2010 04:10 AM

I too am from Missouri, hunt, fish and work, here. I am very happy with our Conservation Dept. Lots of game/fish and prices are fair. Maybe to many deer! Got One the other day with the car!

brushbustin 06-04-2010 04:07 PM

Im overall pleased with TN's game laws..Only part I don't agree with is the cost of license and tags,wish they was a little cheaper,but other than that,its all good..We have a 4 week gun season and in my area,we have a good number of deer..I just wish I lived in Western or Middle TN where you can harvest 3/does a day from the opening of bow season to the last day of gun season,but im not in that Unit..Oh well..

deernutz 06-05-2010 12:10 PM

WI is ok. The only thing like someone already said is the over killing of does which has depleted the herd in the northern regine. Otherwise pretty good.

Gromky 06-09-2010 12:03 AM

My only complaint is being stabbed in the knee by a Fish and Game officer. It was an accident, he slipped and I was about two feet behind him as a kid. I got lucky, no serious damage.

Otherwise, I think the laws in Idaho are very sensible, and I have no complaints. In my limited interactions with them they've bent over backwards to help. Knowing local populations I'm not going to bitch that moose tags are a once a lifetime lottery, or that elk season is too short. I'm not a fan of the new wolf hunts, but the population is strong enough, and perhaps it will impart a greater fear of humans and livestock.