Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do you use topographic maps for hunting? >

Do you use topographic maps for hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you use topographic maps for hunting?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Spike

Default Do you use topographic maps for hunting?

i was just curious how many people use topographic maps to help them locate deer in their areas. i have heard that they provide hunters clues where deer might be, but what do you look for in a topo map that will hint that deer might be located in a certain area? any input would be great guys, thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Features of the terrain, you can identify ridge lines, funnels, choke points, water, possible bedding areas, etc.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Topo's

Originally Posted by hunting-addict
i was just curious how many people use topographic maps to help them locate deer in their areas. i have heard that they provide hunters clues where deer might be, but what do you look for in a topo map that will hint that deer might be located in a certain area? any input would be great guys, thanks in advance
I'm surprised that this day and age that hunters even use topo's, what with the GPS cheat. I still use my 8 digit co-ordinates, I love the challenge, and keeping the skeeeellls sharp! Reminds of the time that I was sending newbies down the commo shop for spools of "contour" line.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

There is no gps cheat. They do not replace a map and compass. A map shows you terrain, water, valleys, funnels, ridgelines...
Five minutes with a map and you know more than two days random wandering- not that you dont need to hoof it. It lets you plan your hoofing. I do use a gps for plotting stand sites, distances, etc. but it is no where near as helpful or versatile as a map and compass...especially once the batteries die, or it doesnt triangulate due to steep terrain or tree cover.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default my point exactly!

Originally Posted by Daveboone
There is no gps cheat. They do not replace a map and compass. A map shows you terrain, water, valleys, funnels, ridgelines...
Five minutes with a map and you know more than two days random wandering- not that you dont need to hoof it. It lets you plan your hoofing. I do use a gps for plotting stand sites, distances, etc. but it is no where near as helpful or versatile as a map and compass...especially once the batteries die, or it doesnt triangulate due to steep terrain or tree cover.
I have never used a GPS outside the military, learned my skills "before" the GPS was introduced to the military.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely I use them! Along with corresponding aerial photos and groundpounding. I've found each one adds unique information that the others don't and all are equally invaluable.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 05-12-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have recently been using google earth. it sure gives a good luck and perspective to allow me to know where I am going to be heading and what I really want to see.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely use topo and arial photographs both to "scout". Carry both , plus compass, and GPS.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Topo map and compass are a regular part of my hunting gear.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I will have to explain this. I realize there are some who have very keen and cultured "skills" but it seems something is being overlooked.

A GPS is a great tool, fine indeed. But what a GPS can't do is show you a good, large chunk of land all at once and let you see how the lay of the land actually is and how it works together.

Try to do that with a 3" X 3" screen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.